Another Leveling Question

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by Ken Lane, May 21, 2019.

1. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

My new rig has a functioning 3 way refrigerator so I know that leveling is important to its operation. My question, is leveling down the long axis more important than side to side. I realize that an uncomfortable drop side to side is not good but that would be uncomfortable for people too. So is some minor side to side out of level less critical than front to back for refrigerator operation? I have a Bal, but I rather not fiddle with it if some minor drift off the level ball is ok and won't hurt the equipment.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

IMHO, leveling in both directions is equally important. If not for the fridge, it is important for raising the roof. It is hard on the lift system if the pup isn't leveled on both axes.

nineoaks2004 and PopUpSteve like this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Define "minor drift"

My initial thought was similar to Bike n Fish: both directions are equally important. I decided to look at the manual for my fridge, since I have it on the computer and I'm bored at work. According to my manual, it should be withing 6 degrees front to back, and 3 degrees side to side. So according to them, side to side is more important.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

The specs on my Norco fridge say + or - 6* front to back, side to side on the trailer, and + or - 3* side by side, or front to back on the trailer. My camper functions well within these limits but all may not. I have camped a couple of places where I was not able to level well enough to be comfortable running the fridge.

5. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

My door won’t close properly if I’m not level on both axis

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

As my Grandpa would say, "If you're going to do something, do it right".

Of course he also said "Always carry a litter bag in your car. It doesn't take up much room, and if it gets full, you can toss it out the window".

Sjm9911, Milemaker13 and BikeNFish like this.
  7. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

I agree it should be level on both axis. I still hate to fiddle with the Bal over a paltry 3 degrees. But the manufacturers know best no doubt. Thanks for the help and the great responses.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Within the three degrees is not that exact. For most, it is the difference between laying down comfortably and uncomfortably.

9. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

Not a math major but from what I found on a quick search three degrees across a typical popup at 7' wide is 4.4" (3 degree is 19.08" run per 1" raise, 84/19.08=4.40). You're talking three 2x boards of lift. Front to back on a fridge is generally side to side on a trailer.

eoleson1 likes this.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Yep. And it just needs to be within that 3 degrees. I have found that if I'm comfortable laying in the bed facing either direction, then I'm good enough for the fridge to run without issue.

11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

looking at the Dometic plumbing, in the coolbox and on the rear, I would say the side to side is less important than front to back, and here is what the inside looks like after you remove the fins...the thermal connection between the fins and the cooling pipe is pathetic

Attached Files: