another low cost curtains ?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by lkc, Mar 29, 2018.

1. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Hello all---first, thank you to all who replied to my last 2 posts regarding blackout curtains, etc---many thanks for the info

Another curtain question---- With this spring/summer being the first season with this NTM pup, and already having a number of must purchase items for towing safety, etc (I'm sure you all know how that is)---I need to find a super inexpensive way to cover windows for spring camping & privacy.

Have been doing lots of searching on the internet and even purchasing the blackout lining by itself is not that cheap. I can't/won't spend much during this first season for curtains until I am sure I like this pup and want to keep it.

Saw some cheap flannel material on sale right now at Joann's--has anyone had any experience with just hanging flannel for curtains, how does flannel work for privacy/insulating from the cold?

I don't have a bunch of extra blankets I can use from home either.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

We got fabric from Wally World and just use spring clips to hold them up. Sometimes Flat Sheets or Shower curtains are cheaper.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I found my black out curtains from Walmart. Only like $7 per panel if I remember correctly. Because I couldn't find the clips to attach to the curtains I bought I just cut the top section on the old curtains and sowed them onto the new. Not the prettiest but it is functional.

4. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

Jul 28, 2017
    I found shower curtains that I am making into bunk end curtains that were like under $15 each that I am cutting down for the curtains and then using the leftovers for cheap pillows.

5. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    When I moved into a big old house with lots of windows, I went to Sears and bought (white) bed sheets. Least expensive fabric and already hemmed!

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

The cheapest way, if you are not picky what they look like, is to search the Walmart website for clearance black out curtains. If they have 96" those can be cut in half to make two panels with thin seams. That's what I have up now. My length is 48" so I had to be put only 1/4" seam on them.

Blackout material, on it's own is expensive, and personally I am considering getting rid of mine and replacing it with just regular black out panels. It just doesn't give at all, it's very stiff and hard to get it to stay in place with tie backs.

7. drgiese

drgiese Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Northern California
    I got some of that cheap flannel at Joann's, too, like $2/yd or something. I'm planning to use it for my curtains. My only concern is that it may collect dust quickly, but I think it will also wash and dry really easily.