Another LPG Stove Ignitor Mod

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Dubbya, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Saw bondebond's modding thread the other day. Seeing what a great job he did on his stove, I felt inspired to take a crack at the ignitor mod on our old Wedgewood three burner LPG indoor/outdoor stove.

I'd just told the DW that I was thinking of doing the mod while driving around on errands yesterday. There was no rush and I didn't want to spend $30 on the ignition module/electrode kit so I thought I'd keep an eye peeled just in case we came across a few electrodes. Hah, jumped in the truck, made a right turn and there it was, staring us right in the face... a FreeBQ with a side burner!

[​IMG]

We stopped, had a quick word with the neighbour, thanked him, tossed the FreeBQ into the box of the pickup and off we went. Perfect, two down, one more to go! We stopped in at Canadian Tire, walked over to the BBQ parts aisle and found the Centrios branded four electrode electronic ignitor kit with a single ignitor on clearance for $4.99. It didn't come with a battery, but we had a big box of them back at the house anyway. Done deal!

Then back to the house to get started. Pulled the stove out of the camper, disassembled it, cleaned it up, dug out some scrap aluminum bits for the ignitor brackets, bent them to shape, drilled out the holes and screw holes to mount the ignitor to the bracket and the bracket to the stove. Then drilled a 7/8" hole in the side of the stove to mount the push button ignition module in.

[​IMG]

Using two pairs of needle nosed pliers, I bent the tips of the electrodes and attached them to the brackets with screws harvested from the FreeBQ. I drilled a hole into the side wall of the inner stove to run wires through, put the stove back together and connected the wires to the ignition module and tossed in an AA battery. A quick test revealed that I needed to short the fourth terminal to the inner stove. I just plugged in an extra wire and drove a self-tapping screw into the stove under the burners, tightened the screw and tried it again. Success!

After I couple of quick tweaks, all the ignitors were between 1/8" and 3/16" away from the burner, with the sparks hitting just below and in the center of a port. Perfect.

[​IMG]

I hung the stove on the side of the camper, connected the gas and tried each burner knob. One quick tweak of an electrode and they were all lighting with one or two clicks. Sweet!

[​IMG]

And here it is complete.

[​IMG]

Super easy, super cheap too. Total cost of this mod? $4.99 plus tax for the ignition module. The whole process took about 2 hours but that's because I cleaned the stove while I was at it. I'd budget an hour and a half to two hours tops.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    It is on my maybe I should do list. I just have not found a good deal on an ignitor kit like you did. Looks great.

3. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Jun 21, 2012
    Looks great! No free BBQs here though, so $25 on Amazon.

4. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Thanks, fellas!

Yeah, those FreeBQ's are surprisingly illusive when you want to see 'em!

1996 Viking 2060ST / 1997 F150

5. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    I have the same stove.

Looks like I have to add another project to the list!

Steve

6. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Go for it!

1996 Viking 2060ST / 1997 F150