Another off leash dog gripe

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by kudzu, Feb 21, 2017.

1. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I have encountered on leash irresponsiblity as well. Last year, a woman walking her dog on a leash, gave the dog enough slack to "visit" my dog that was tied up within my campsite. Her young dog jumped up in my elderly dog's face. The woman seemed miffed when my dog reacted.

2. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Franklin, NC
    I agree with my fellow posters. When I take my two dogs camping, they are always leashed at all times. I consider it extremely rude to allow your dogs to roam unleashed, and I will not shy away from telling you about it. By the way, my dogs are old, grumpy, and not dog-friendly, they don't want to make friends with your dog.

3. dsiewert

dsiewert New Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Michigan
    As a lifelong dog owner, I worry about people that don't keep their dogs leashed. My dogs are both very friendly towards humans, but one dog doesn't like other dogs. He'll never go after them, he actually ignores them, but if they come up to him, he'll growl....if they don't get away, he'll attack. It never fails that when I tell people who approach with their dogs to stay away, they keep coming and say, "But my dog is friendly..." , well mine isn't, keep your dog away. They look at me like I'm a mean dog hating person. Uh...what? I just saved your dog from getting bitten and I was keeping my dog safe....smh.

tzmartin likes this.
  4. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    I'm a new dog owner and just got back from taking "Sam" on his first camping trip. He's 16lbs and of no particular breed--mostly schnauzer or terrier looking. He was nervous the first day and then got used to it by the fourth day. We had a great time. It helped that i went home and got his cage the second night. He was calm and on a leash the whole trip. He was soooo tired at the end.

So, dog owners, what do I do when other dogs wander onto my campsite? If owners won't leash, then what are my options to deter the behavior? Pepper spray? Squirt gun with lemon juice? I don't want to start a fight with the dog, just get them away.

5. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I too hate it when people let their critters run free.....my dog (border collie / aussie shepherd cross), is only 3, very friendly, & has never met a stranger, HOWEVER, her owner is old, grumpy, & not a bit afraid of letting people know that he doesn't appreciate their irresponsibility. I can understand one getting off their leash or pulling free of the owner, that's a whole different thing, at least they were making the attempt to restrain their dog, but repeated offenses there can incur the wrath of the 'old fart camped over there' as well....lol. As far as 'encouraging' one to leave, a spray bottle or squirt gun full of ammonia works wonders....few dogs (if any) will come back for a second helping.

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I always keep my dog leashed but hes free only when he is inside my popup. At RV resort campgrounds, they seem very serious about keeping dogs leashed or be kicked out of campground with no money back. Campers have to sign the paper agreeing that they have a dog or not and that all dogs must be leashed. It always work.

tzmartin likes this.
  7. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Hillsboro, OR
    My dog was properly trained and is very well behaved.
    I can let him out in the yard and he knows he's not to leave the yard. I still leash him though.

8. shaune509

shaune509 Member

Aug 13, 2014
    spokane wa
    Not just at campgrounds, I have a home run shop at my rural place and it always amazes me that people will stop in and let there dog run free from there car, on my property with me having both dogs and barn cats around. They are always put out when I insist they put there mutt back in there car, not that my dogs are running lose but they do not like being cussed at in 'dog' by a noisy lap dog. Or the large NON tethered truck bed dogs that think they are the boss of both human and other animals.
    Shaune509

9. kudzu

kudzu Member

Oct 20, 2014
    My first suggestion is to get an x-pen to use as a barrier between Sam & visitors. I have 3 dogs so setting up a modest sized "dog corral" is much easier & safer than tethering. Even with that & especially when they are just on leash with me, I try to calmly put myself between my dogs and any strange dogs, no matter how friendly they may appear. If your dog is nervous, this likely the best option. It gives you little more in control. Then just back up slowly with your dog behind you until you can get your dog in your camper or into a pen if you brought one. The squirt gun idea is a good one if the dog seems unfriendly. Otherwise, after your dog is secured, leash up the strange dog & return it to its owner. Don't be shy about requested that owner keep the trespasser leashed & off your site. You can do that politely, but seriously. If all else fails... well, we know how I handled it. We just left. A weekend of dodging obnoxious, off-leash dogs isn't worth it.

10. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Oh.....your dog has a hole in him.....that can be unhealthy for an unleashed dog attacking........

11. Tamster1970

Tamster1970 New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    HalfAHippie
    I friend of mine had the same problem. We realized she didn't have the harness properly tightened. It might appear to tight but it is better for the security if the pup. Don't give up, she loves the you time she gets while camping.

12. Tamster1970

Tamster1970 New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    We love taking our pup camping. It is new for the old guy, But he loves it. We recently took him to a local lake and we keep him leashed or on a lead. He is friendly until he's not, but we stay aware of dogs who approach. We were on a walk and the pit across the street with leash but not under control charged him from behind and caught him off guard. Luckily my husband was able to knock the pit away. She was a friendly dog, until she wasn't. She caused a rip in his lower lid. We will take him again, but will be well aware of our surroundings.

13. KSK79

KSK79 New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    As the owner of 6 very BARKY annoying rescue dogs with behavior issues (its why they were all given up to rescue to begin with), we would NEVER bring our dogs with us because we know they would be a barking mess. It isn't fair to everyone else. I also agree that leaving dogs off leash is very irresponsible in a group setting.