Another sink removal thread

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by beef, Aug 27, 2012.

1. beef

beef New Member

Jan 12, 2012
    I hate flipping the countertop section back and forth when setting up and tearing down, then packing and unpacking the underside of the countertop 'cause it's a convenient place for all those little things that dont fit anywhere else. The sink is not an issue, we've never used it (no intention to) and neither did the POs, faucet is actually broken anyway from not being put away properly once.

I'm thinking about just removing it at the hinge, then carpentering up 3-4 stackable plywood "cubbys" that fit on the remaining lower cupboard section but can be quickly "destacked" and stored for travel on the seat benches beside the cushions. The cubbys can remain packed most of the time because they'll never have to be flipped around and can also be removed easily and taken to the house to be loaded/unloaded. An added bonus is that it will also help me load a bit more weight behind the wheels.

The dimensions of the cubby would be approx 48" wide x 18" deep x 9" tall. Each of these would be divided into 2-24"wide or 3-16"wide sections. I think I could find plastic totes to use as drawers in each section for easier access to the further back items. Depending on the final dimensions I think I could stow 3 of these in the pup pretty easily. There's rarely food in the camper because of bears but storage for clothes, utensils, rainy day entertainment for the kids, the list goes on...

What do you think?

2. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    We would not do without the sink in our PUP. It is one of our favorite features, but since you don't use yours, I guess this would be a better option for you.

3. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

May 29, 2012
    If you are not using it and don't intend to then go for it.. I would keep the unit tho in case you want to sell sometime. I think it would affect the sale with not sink unit.. I use mine all the time.. could never do with out it..

g

4. 2ndchance

2ndchance Member

Jul 6, 2011
    I removed mine and purchased 2 each 3 drawer units from Wally world. We never used the sink and love the extra storage/organizing capabilities. When it's time to pack they fit on the floor and the bunk ends slide right over them.

5. supham

supham New Member

Aug 14, 2012
    My galley is just a small useless sink with no gray water tank. It is only 17" wide and I'm planning on replacing it with a built in micro.

6. beef

beef New Member

Jan 12, 2012
    My wife picked up a plastic drawer thingy but it's not the right size or shape. I'm also a sucker for things that are custom built. Even the lower section cupboard/Fridge layout is pretty useless. I can see myself eventually removing the whole cupboard and building something that puts the fridge in a better spot and gives me proper cupboards and storage for MY stuff.

7. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    What?!?! You don't like the pre-fab plastic look?
    [​IMG]

I can't blame you. Neither did my wife. If I weren't part way through a kitchen remodel in the house, I'd be right there with you. I understand designers and what they have to work with for constraints, but for those who can - remodel your PUP to fit your needs and wants.

Let's see before/during/after pictures!

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Yep, storage space is one thing that you can't have enough of.

While you're at it, I thought I'd recommend the wire shelf mod. You and the DW will love the extra space!
    [​IMG]

What you need:

Qty: 2 x 25" Fast Track Upright ($9.97 ea.)
    I used 48" uprights as they're a little more sturdy but 25"-36" will work fine as well.
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/25-inch-fast-track-upright/969891

Qty: 4 x 12" Fast Track Bracket ($4.97 ea.)
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/12-inch-fast-track-bracket/969907

Qty: 1 x 12"x8' White Wire Linen Shelf (cut in half) ($12.97)
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/12-inch-x-8ft-white-linen-shelf/979818

Qty: 2 x Closet Rod Flange Set ($3.99 )
    You can find these in white plastic as well. Canadian Tire has them.
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ph-closet-rod-flange-1-5-16-inch-set/969228

Qty: 2 x 36"-60" Expandable Shower Curtain Rods ($2 ea. @ The Dollar Store)

You might want to check out McDiarmid Lumber for the shelving stuff as well. Prices will be a little higher. Also, I'd recommend the "close wire" or "tight weave" shelving as smaller items are a little more stable when placed on them. Again, more money but worth it IMHO.

Earthfairies likes this.
  9. beef

beef New Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Wife likes these ones, I do too, only downside (to me) was still having to pack and unpack... I like the high visiblity of the wire rack shelf

10. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    They set up/take down in under a minute. I stash the posts under one bunk mattress and the shelves under the other.

So totally worth doing.

11. MIPeaceDudeCamper

MIPeaceDudeCamper New Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Really like the shelf system but my dumb question is: how do you attach the long vertical supports? to the ceiling? what is the shower curtain rod for? in case you are wondering, yes, I am a natural blond.

12. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Jul 22, 2012
    The shower rods are the vertical support. Shower rods are spring tensioned, so the spring holds it securely to the ceiling.

13. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Right. The closet rod pockets (flanges) are screwed to the galley base and ceiling with #8 x 5/8" screws. They keep the shower curtain (tension) rods from popping out or sliding around and marking up the ceiling.

With the flanges in place, the rods don't have to be as tight so there's less pressure on the ceiling.

14. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Feb 20, 2012
    Melviindale MI.
    We yanked ours

15. beef

beef New Member

Jan 12, 2012
    I removed mine too... Like the look of it so far. Haven't built any stackables yet, that'll be a winter project. I think I'm going to salvage the sink and build a small countertop with sink and faucet that I can hang on the outside in place of the indoor outdoor stove (which I sold)

16. NWevo1

NWevo1 New Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Everyone is talking about the hinged sinks that flip 180 degrees right?
    Anyone ever have any problems or dislikes about the Coleman 'swing level' system? Seems like a better design to me. It leaves everything upright for storage. Are there other brands that have copied this now?
    I'll find out how it works in a few days when I pick up my new camper :)

17. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    One thing about the swing level galley is that in may block access to the refrigerator. But on the other hand it is also higher.

18. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Our old Coleman had the 'flip over' counter with sink and stove and everything had to be removed before storing it. Our Westlake has the swing level counter and I LOVE IT! Yes, the counter is higher, my sink is bigger, the stove is a permanent mount (there is a second high output stove for outside use) and it has a deep drawer. I keep all my cooking utensils, measuring spoons, stick lighters (for stoves), etc. in the drawer. I can also leave my liquid dish and hand soap, dry sponges and dish cloth, my box of baking soda (that is used to clean everything) in the cabinet under the sink... for the entire camping season. It all stays safe a secure. Yes, the counter blocks the frig when it is in the 'storage position' but we do not find that a problem. We pack a cooler for a trip, as soon as the pup is 'up' DH turns on the frig (either electric or propane) and I unload our food from the cooler to the frig. Then the cooler is used for pop and adult beverages. [:D]

NWevo1, I think you will appreciate all the conveniences of the Coleman 'swing level' sink. We have had ours for 4 years, camped 40+ days/nights this year and I don't have a single complaint... except it is now stored for the winter! Come on SPRING!!! I'd really rather be camping! Diane

19. NWevo1

NWevo1 New Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Sounds great, can't wait to get it home to start playing with it all and figuring out how it all works and how we'll adapt to all those conveniences that just don't quite exist in the tenting world. Never giving up the tent and backpacks either though!

20. Dhorn33

Dhorn33 New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Blaine, MN
    We had the same problems so I took our out last summer when I did a remodel to our pup. I had already removed the water tank 2 years ago and the faucet was broken so all it did was get the way and block the fridge from being accessible while the toilet wasn't popped up. Our pup is tiny at only 8 feet so storage is a premium, especially when we take the Keep Wrangler.