Anti freeze taste always returning!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Mike76, May 23, 2019.

1. Mike76

Mike76 Member

Ever since owning our pup which we bought in the spring, and had antifreeze in the plumbing from the dealer (used), cycling water through the system I wind up able to drink nice clean water after a few cycles.

Then it sits without any changes, and the next day the first couple cups of water from the sink not only tastes and smells of antifreeze but it literally has a pink hue to it, and it fizzes like it's carbonated. I've flushed the tank with bleach water twice now, this year. I've ran probably 15 gallons through the tap.

When I last winterized last fall (same the year before) I never added it to the tank, just unscrewed the pump feed line and pumped maybe a quart or so into the pump and lines. To my knowledge the tank has never itself had antifreeze in it, as the tank when we received the pup from the deal initially was clean looking, not pink, etc.

I don't understand how this can be. Like sure maybe some antifreeze might sit in some dip in the line somewhere and occasionally water fills the line solidly enough that it pulls some up with it. But like it's cups worth that are wholly undrinkable, and then maybe a few gallons of constant running the tap before we can no longer taste anti freeze. Only to have it return the next morning like nothing changed!

I was thinking hell I'll just replace all the lines and that's GOT to do it...but then of course those lines are all gooped into place at every point that it goes through walls etc. ugh...

Any advice?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Somewhere in one of the waterlines there is a residual amount of antifreeze.. If it is foaming when you first turn the water on that is a clue (can also foam if you have residual bleach in the lines).. You have to flush the water system more and if you haven't , sanitize the system as well..

Mike76 and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

You most likely have a line that wasn't flushed.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

When flushing open the low point drains, my pup has them and its a 2000. When bleaching, hold the bleach in the system for like 3 hours, run every out put clean. So sink , hot and cold, outside shower, hot and cold, etc. Make sure you flush out the hot water heater also.

xxxapache and kitphantom like this.
  5. beakerthesparky

beakerthesparky New Member

I like to use a s**t ton of lemon juice at the end of the flush, and flush that out, at the most you get the slight taste of lemon in your water.

soft 17 likes this.
  6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would just bring a couple of gallons of water for drinking.

Orchid likes this.
  7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I used to put anti-freeze in the tank to winterize. But a few years ago I install a bypass on the pump to allow me to pull anti-freze right from the jug. When dewinterizing I will fill the entire tank with water and the right amount of bleach and run about a 1/4 tank thru the lines. Then about 4-5 hours later I will run the rest of the tank thru the lines. I will then run at least 2-3 tank of water thru the lines to flush everything.

It does sound like there is some anti-freeze stuck in the lines somewhere. On the bottom of our pump is about an 8 inch pice of tubing with a valve on it. I make sure to open that a few times while flushing the system out as anti-freeze/water will get trapped in there.

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

I can't imagine why you'd bother when the simple solution is to just bring any water you ingest from home. It's water you're used to and presumably safe. In 20 yrs of camping in popups, a hybrid, and a couple of travel trailers we've never ingested water from the trailer tank nor campground water which we'd use only for washing dishes, showering, and feeding the toilet. On longer trips if we ever ran out we'd simply buy a case of bottled water. K.I.S.S. :smiley:

Orchid likes this.
  9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Low point drains and the shower faucets are where it seems to hide in ours. Even though we don't really use the shower, we do us it occasionally to rinse the floor in the wet bath, etc, so we do winterize, flush, sanitize, and flush that as well as the rest of the system. The freshwater tank and hot water tank are both bypassed for antifreeze, so it doesn't hide in those.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

For me.. with a 40gal. water tank I don't like filling at home (roughly 320lbs of extra weight) . In my nearly 49 years of camping have always used the fresh water tank at the campgrounds.. I remember as a kid dad filling the water tank with a regular green garden hose.. Always use the water too.. drinking, cooking, washing, showering..

Mike76 and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We don't have to winterize anymore, being in Florida. When we lived up north, we never used antifreeze. We just blew out everything with an air compressor. But as others have mentioned, we also don't drink our camper water. We bring drinking water with us or buy there.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

That's not what I said, rather I said any water we ingest we bring from home or if on a long trip will buy it along the way. A 4 gal Aquatainer serves this purpose nicely for a 3 day long weekend, otherwise I can always use one of my 7 gal FW Aquatainers. Nonetheless I always keep enough water in a travel trailer's fresh water tank so we can use the sinks, toilet, shower, anywhere we want but very early or very late in the season when the campground fresh water supply may be turned off I have no issues traveling with a full fresh water tank, even will fill my fresh water Aquatainers sitting in the back of the truck. A popup is a little different as a full 20 gal tank would represent a higher percentage of the trailer's gross weight so in that case I would generally travel with it empty, which of course has no bearing on water we ingest which travels along with us in an Aquatainer.

Orchid likes this.
  13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Nope that is what I said.. I don't want to be carrying 320lbs of extra weight.. On a long trip like from Toronto to Nashville I carried about 5gal. for the sink and toilet..

Yeah.. and I pointed out that I do not want to carry 40gal. of water so I fill at the campground and drink it, cook with it etc, So I fully winterize with anti-freeze, usually using about 4.5 gal of it and split the other 1/2 gallon between the sink and shower traps and the toilet valve, so come spring and dewinterizing, I sanitize the entire water system and flush almost 40gal of water thru the lines, sometimes the lines to the outside shower remain foamy for a couple trips..

Mike76 likes this.
  14. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

20190524_134201.jpg I winterize with antifreeze and sanitize in the spring with bleach. We drink the camper water with no taste problems...My camper has a filtered water fountain in the kitchen. I can't tell any difference in taste between it and the tap.

I always tow with a full 52 gallon tank.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Orchid and Toedtoes like this.
  15. Mike76

Mike76 Member

Yeah there's only a single line running from the water tank out to the tap, that's it. So there's no other lines in the mix. There's no showers, there's a single drain on the tank itself but the tank itself isn't the issue, as the antifreeze has never been in the tank.

So either there's some magic on the pump that's holding some crap in it (I hadn't considered this, but someone above mentioned their pump had a tube on it...I don't have a tube but maybe there's some trap inside of it).

When we camp for 5+ days at a time, which is almost every trip, we can't bring that much water. Water is used for dishes, and 100% of all liquid intake for four people. We have a tank, we have a pump, we have a tap, we have a sink. Why in the world would I NOT want to use this? SMH.

I'll take a look at the pump, I can't fathom how running this much water through all of my system, including a full tank of bleached water (appropriate ratio) having left it for 3 hours or so in all the lines and tank, wouldn't wash all this out. Wonder if the lines themselves could store some in them, porous surface and all that jazz...

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Have you owned the trailer since new? It is possible that a P.O poured the antifreeze into the tank and never flushed it out..

17. Mike76

Mike76 Member

No we bought it used 3 years ago, so it's possible yes. The tank doesn't look like it's tainted by it, and when I drain water from it out the bottom of the trailer that water doesn't look foamy or pink nor does it smell, but I also can't get right up to the puddle or anything ;)

Suppose I could test that by disconnecting the pump from the tank and sticking it into a known-good jug of water, draw that and see what it tastes like...interesting...

18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

When you run out the bleaced water how are you doing that? Are you running it through the faucets for a bit then emptying the tank out with the drain? Or are you running it all through the faucets?

I recommend running it all through the faucets. That will put all that water through the hoses so nothing can stay in it.

For disinfecting, I use chlorine granules (for pools and hot tubs). It takes just a teaspoon and you don't have to rinse the tank and lines as much. The granules don't have that awful taste that bleach has.

I always fill my tanks at home. It doesn't affect mileage enough to matter (40 gallon tank on the clipper; 20 on the FnR) and our campgrounds don't have unlimited water. And I like the taste of my tap water.

19. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Oh and I drink out of fresh tanks all the time.

20. Mike76

Mike76 Member

I ran probably 3 gallons through the tap then drained the rest, yeah. I subsequently ran another 10+ through the tap in normal camping usage, with normal water. But maybe it needed the full 10g run through the faucet with bleach in it...