Any vegans out there?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Kmbrn84, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Kmbrn84

Kmbrn84 New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    I have my first camping trip under my belt and we did pizza pie irons, Beyond meat vegan sausages, PB&J, oatmeal.
    I am just wondering what kind of meals other vegans have had success with at the campground?
    Side note-not asking to start any sort of debate about veganism.

Koalavan likes this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Im not a vegan so don't know exactly what your allowed eat. However I have made a summer vegetable dish in my frying pan with a little oil and seasoning. Basically, onions, green peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, and some eggplant. I season with pepper and garlic and some other seasonings I like. I've seasoned with the powder ranch dressing once which was a big hit. I've also put it in aluminum foil and put it on a campfire and cooked it that way. This dish is fairly easy and you can add lentils or something else with it as you desire. I've cooked vegi Burgers on the grill. Not sure if this be falls under your same diet though.

Sjm9911 and Kmbrn84 like this.
  3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm not vegan, but my son-in-law's brother and his wife are new vegans. At family events, I make things that they will eat. For camping, how about TVP (textured vegetable protein) tacos? We always do tacos camping!

Way back in the 90's I discovered TVP and used it in chili and spaghetti regularly. Nobody ever knew the difference. Back then I did it because it was way cheaper than beef and shelf stable. The cost may have skyrocketed by now.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I'm vegetarian, but have found that anything I can cook at home I can cook when camping.

For protein, many of the vegan soy meat products can be used to create meals and they easily cook on a campstove or in foil on the fire. Portabello mushrooms work great in fajitas and stir fry, etc. Fishless tuna works great for sandwiches for a quick meal (nice to have an alternative to pb&j). Faux hamburger crumbles, faux steak and chicken strips work well for a wide variety of dishes. Black beans can be added to many dishes.

You can prepare and/or cook meals at home, then heat them when camping. That allows you to make a lot more complex dishes and offer more variety.

My usual go-tos are tacos, fajitas, spaghetti, soy burgers, pizza, soup, chili, etc. I often get a long veggie sandwich from the grocery store deli and have that for lunch the first day or two.

Pancakes for breakfast. Potatoes are great - you can bake them in the fire, cut them up for foil meals, boil them, etc.

I say just start experimenting at home. Try some various foil packet meals using your oven and see what ingredients you like. One thing I try to do is coordinate meals - both so I minimize leftovers and so I am not eating the same thing each day. A package of hamburger crumbles can be used for spaghetti one night and tacos the next.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I make something simmiler, garlic, red onions, squash, zucchini, eggplant, carrots, you can add or subtract, and cut up before hand. Grill those up. Then i cook some pasta. Add olive oil , and a lot of balsamic viniger. Can eat cold or hot. Im also not a vegetarian, but this is good. Add salt , i use grated cheese( maybe off the list here) but seasoned salt will surfice.

Orchid likes this.
  6. Kmbrn84

Kmbrn84 New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Thanks for all the ideas. I guess I was stuck on "camping food" when with the right tools any food can be camping food!

7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Exactly! No sense limiting yourself unnecessarily. [:D]

Kmbrn84 likes this.
  8. Koalavan

Koalavan New Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    Vegan family here! We take a Weber Baby-Q (small gas bbq) with us and do all our cooking on that. The main meals we repeat on basically every trip:
    - veggie sausages & baked beans (English style baked beans from a tin, not the US style) with either toast or smashed potatoes;
    - bbq grilled veg, lots of veggies turn out great on the bbq, like sliced sweet potato (yam?), zucchini (courgette), capsicum (bell peppers), onion, asparagus, broccoli, corn, pumpkin etc. (not sure Aussie pumpkin is the same as what you get in other countries).
    - pizzas made from halved baguettes, with tomato paste, pineapple, possibly chopped veggie sausage or something similar, sliced olives, and a bit of vegan cheese.
    - baked potatoes with margarine and salt and pepper
    - my dad has made ratatouille at home and brought it along and that is great on the potatoes or on toast.
    - burgers with (frozen) veggie patties, tomato, lettuce, relish or sauce etc in a nice fresh bread roll. Works best for one of the first meals of the trip since lettuce doesn't always survive well in the esky (cooler).

And my mum gave me a basic recipe for vegetable fritters that we all love:
    "3 cups self raising flour, salt & pepper, any herbs you want, ¼ cup vegetable oil and around 1 ½ cups milk. (any sort). Just mix till smooth – if too gluggy, add more milk, if too runny add flour. You want it like a pikelet mix. Add about 3-4 cups of cooked vegies, any type, although pumpkin and sweet potato are a nice base. Then you drop tablespoons of the mix onto the prepared hot oiled BBQ plate. Try not to turn until well-cooked under and then flip to brown the top side. They should stay in a nice shape." I usually have to add a lot more liquid, but I don't usually have 3-4 cups of cooked veggies for it either! My favourite thing to do is find a locally made relish or chutney and we have that with the fritters. My son just likes tomato sauce (ketchup) with them.

Breakfast is usually cereals but sometimes toast done on the BBQ. We usually have avocado and NZ Marmite on toast at least once per trip too. Lunches are sometimes eaten at cafes depending on how vegan-friendly our location is, otherwise it's sandwiches, PB, Marmite, jam, etc, maybe hummus, and we take along snacky foods like corn chips, chips (crisps/potato chips), biscuits (cookies), nuts, fruit of course, muesli bars/date bars/Clif bars...

One of our biggest problems has been keeping the veg fresh. It tends to go bad very quickly when we store it in the camper, even though I've been trying a few different places and methods for storing it. We are in a subtropical zone so it's probably just too warm and humid in the camper, and not enough airflow. I have this cotton bag called a 'swag' that is supposed to be soaked in water and then put your veggies in it in the fridge so they stay fresh for longer, I'm going to try that in the esky on the next trip if we can make the space in it.

Kmbrn84 likes this.
  9. Kmbrn84

Kmbrn84 New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Thank you! How do you cook the pizza? The grill? Does the cheese melt?