Anyone how a tutorial or info on how to replace the main power cable in my 2004 Timberlake?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by shaxs, Mar 12, 2018.

1. shaxs

shaxs Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I setup my Timberlake for the first time this weekend to get used to all the systems and setup. I plugged the power into my house using a 15amp converter end. Everything worked great all weekend! As I was closing it up and putting stuff away, I noticed the power cable had a place on it that looked a little burned.

20180311_165543.jpg

This doesnt look good and I think I should probably replace it even though I had no issues using it this weekend. My family's safety is my priority concern.

I found this on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YDY81M and it not terribly expensive. What would it take to remove the old one and replace it with this? Does anyone have a tutorial or information on how to replace this? Seems like it would be pretty easy.

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Just connect it the same as the old one to the converter. I know on mine, the cord just slides into a hole into the trailer and that is where the back of the converter is located. Should not take long at all.

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Easy to connect. Like mentioned above it just goes into the back of the converter. On mine it comes in from the back of the pup, and there were a few straps that kept the cable in place. My converter is under the galley so I had to contort a little to get to all the bolts.

Might be cheaper to get an extension cord and lop the female end off. I saw some on Amazon for around $30.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    That's what I would suggest. Then you have a nice male end.

While you are doing that, you could upgrade to a detachable cable using this. I did that with my Bayside and love it.

5. shaxs

shaxs Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Funny you should say that.
    I just remembered I ordered 2
    Of these because they were on sale for $15 :

Camco Heavy Duty Outdoor Extension Cord for RV and Auto with Easy PowerGrip Handles- 30 Amp, 3750 Watt, 10-Gauge (55191) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUU5YU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vYWPAbN7C0XQA

I guess I could cut off the end of one. Only concern is the larger connection on the other side may not fit in my housing.

6. shaxs

shaxs Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Can you explain why this is useful? I seem to be ignorant in this subject

7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    For instance, in my Bayside, the cable when pushed into the camper takes up space in a cabinet. By installing a removable cable, I get to use that cabinet for something else.

Not every camper can benefit from this mod. On my pervious PUP, the cable when pushed in went into an area behind the converter and did not fill up a cabinet. But if your cable is in a storage area you can use, then you can install this and reclaim it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Fless likes this.
  8. shaxs

shaxs Member

Feb 25, 2018
    It does go into a cabinet. Nice, I like the idea.

9. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Where do you store the removable cord when not in use? In the same storage area?

10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    The Bayside has a front storage box. It goes in there. If I didn't have a front storage box, it would go on top of the tools I normally carry anyway.

My wife likes putting her stuff in the freed up cabinet...

11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Our Palomino has the cord going into a blocked-off area under one of the dinette seats. When we first got it, the whole seat was screwed shut, and had a sticker on it that said "this is not a storage area" or some such. But for the life of me I have no idea why... the converter is in that space so I suspect that they didn't want you to fill it with blankets or what not. But we store various things in there and take care to not block off the converter vents.

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The lg handle on your Amazon cord can be easily be cutoff if it doesn't fit in the housing.

shaxs likes this.
  13. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Mine is also in a storage under the dinning seat. I have often thought about putting in an outside plug and just putting the cord back in the storage area, but I keep asking myself why?
    I do a lot of desert camping and if the generator is charging the batteries, that converter vent fan is going full time and I can imagine airflow is required. Also, would be afraid of any metal parts under there that might come in contact with the back of the converter contacts while being pulled. (Might be a good way to get a new camper.:rolleyes:)
    I also have the Progressive Ind EMS unit fastened to the floor behind the converter.

So not sure how much space I could pick up. And being single, I guess I don't need as much as others.

And one feature I definitely do not like is when in driveway, not sure I would want 24-30 feet of heavy duty coiled wire vs. just a skinny extension cord outside of the trailer.

But for some, probably a good idea.

14. shaxs

shaxs Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Its arriving today so I guess we shall see!

jnc likes this.
  15. shaxs

shaxs Member

Feb 25, 2018
    It didn't fit. The handle looked pretty annoying to cut and even then, it's still big. Bought the replacement cable instead. I took a look inside the camper and it looks like there is a channel I need to remove and a few wood boxes near the convertor.

16. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe Member

Oct 18, 2017
    I converted my cabinet where the cord pushed into the side of the trailer into this. On the outside I set it up with a 30amp style RV receptical and I attached the plug that came with it to the old heavy cable I pushed into the side. I did install an inline outdoor rated surge protector and I can extend the length of the cable with one intended for use with a generator and the pug into that one. Also makes it nice for hooking up to the 30 amp outlet on my Honda eu2000i Companion (I only have the single generator so it doespecially not actually produce 30 amps).
    My set up is overkill but the plug in is a simple fix and it's weather proof. 20171113_141509.jpg 20171113_141518.jpg 20171113_141541.jpg 20171113_141550.jpg 20171113_141919.jpg

shaxs likes this.
  17. shaxs

shaxs Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I was able to remove and install the new cord today. I disconnected the battery before I did anything. Hardest part was fishing it through the cabinet by the furnace and then negotiating the inside of the box to plug in the new wires. I hooked it back up and battery power still works and plugging it in worked. I hooked a shop vacuum up to the outlet and it worked! I didnt blow any fuses or anything like that.

The fuses in the panel though are very flimsy. I pulled one out to look at it and see what kind/size it was and when I put it back in I bent the socket a little. Didnt break it thankfully.

20180325_144545.jpg 20180325_144552.jpg

18. shaxs

shaxs Member

Feb 25, 2018
    That is an amazing setup! Nicely done!