Anyone Pulling a PUP AND a Trailer w/Boat Together?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by ishoot4thriLLs, May 14, 2018.

1. ishoot4thriLLs

ishoot4thriLLs New Member

May 7, 2018
    Cecilia, KY
    It looks like it's legal in my state of KY as long as the total length is no more than 65'. I am considering pulling my 16' Lowe Big Jon aluminum boat w/trailer hitched to the back of my pop up camper. My tow vehicle and camper are in my signature below and I have NO trailer brakes. I would need to rig a 1 7/8" ball hitch onto the back of my PUP to make it happen plus wire in a plug for the boat trailer lights. I am an experienced driver with a trailer in tow and I understand that I won't be able to back up with two trailers attached to my tow vehicle.

Has anyone on here ever done this? If so, do you have any tips or recommendations for this type of setup? Thanks in advance.

2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Never done this, however I can tell you that in order to add a hitch to your pup you will definitely have to weld too the main frame (not the C channel or the bumper). The bumper is not strong enough to tow from... Hell, it's usually not even strong enough to properly mount bicycles too... Also, how would the added tongue weight of the boat on the rear of the pup, effect the tongue weight of the pup? That could drastically effect handling of the TV. Even if all of that checks out, I would never try this without brakes on pup!

durhamcamper likes this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I would never double tow with a pup. Pup frames aren't built to tow anything.

4. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    I agree. I've got a lightweight tilt bed motorcycle trailer that I'd love to tow my scooter. But, I won't do because as you say PUP are not designed to tow anything. Can't say I've ever seen it done either. My 17' canoe will ride up on my PU roof rack. As for the scooter, I may consider a front mount motorcycle carrier on my Chev 2500 diesel.

5. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    My only suggetion would be..."don't".

6. pasobuff

pasobuff Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Upstate NY
    No, no, no, no,no.......accident waiting to happen! Especially with no brakes.....and everything else already mentioned above...

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I think you love your popup too much not to damage the popup frames.

8. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think you are in a difficult spot with your boat. I've seen successful setups with a pup pulling a smaller 12 foot john boat with no motor. I've seen small pups pulled behind larger boats with beefed up tandem axles. To me 16' is too big to pull behind the pup and too small to pull the pup with. My guess is you also have a gasoline motor on the back. It would have to be removed during travel or it would want to whip all over the road.

The trailer being pulled behind your truck would also need brakes or you'd be setting yourself up for a bad time.

9. ishoot4thriLLs

ishoot4thriLLs New Member

May 7, 2018
    Cecilia, KY
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I have decided not to do it.

jnc, kitphantom and Matt Benoit like this.
  10. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Smart Man....even hough your handle says you might just try...:)

ishoot4thriLLs likes this.
  11. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If you really need to haul them both than get a flatbed trailer and put them both on one.