Anyone Use An Instant Hot Water System?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by jwh92020, Nov 17, 2014.

1. jwh92020

jwh92020 Member

Aug 24, 2014
    I'd like to have hot water at the sink but I don't want to go with a water heater. Any reason i couldn't use an instant system such as this:

http://www.insinkerator.com/en-us/Household-Products/Water-Products/Pages/Model-Hot1.aspx

It draws 4.3 amps, 115v. If I had a separate cord running to the 20 amp service, it should work, shouldn't it? As for the plumbing, that wouldn't be too hard to set up. Any thoughts?

2. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    I never used water in my PUP because I came up camping with water jugs. Now we have a TT and when I filled my tank on the first run, I totally forget the water heater filled up and I could have done dishes anyway. What I DID do, and did in the PUP, was use my coffee pot. 12 cups of hot water goes a long way!!

Also, Coleman makes some nice table top units and they're MUCH cheaper than the unit you're looking at. Check it out...

https://www.google.com/search?q=coleman+instant+hot+water&oq=coleman+instant+hot+water&aqs=chrome..69i57.4955j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8

Happy camping!!

[:D]

3. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    We use a Coleman HWOD and love it. We use it for dishes, showers, inside the PUP and out. It does not need to be plugged or plumbed in because it runs on a rechargeable battery. We use it boondocking just the same as in a CG. We put it on charge each day while the sun is pounding on our solar panel and it is always ready to go. I bought mine used on CL, it was 3 years old then and I've had it for 3 years since; still running on the original battery. Can't beat it, IMO.

4. jwh92020

jwh92020 Member

Aug 24, 2014
    I think the link took us to a more expensive unit. The one I was looking at is $125 @ Home Depot. The Coleman looks interesting. I'll have look at it more in depth. We just want the hot water for dishes, hot chocolate, things like that. DW is not a boon docker, so we will always be somewhere with showers, but portable hot water could come in handy.

5. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    Can't beat the coleman hot water on demand...I have 2 of them, bought the second new one on sale for $149.00. Works very well.

6. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I used to have a portable on demand propane heater (Ecotemp L5) I used when I had our old pup. I had added a second water inlet port to the outside of the camper, so I had both a hot and cold feed. I also installed a residential faucet at the sink. It was inexpensive, and worked really well.

[​IMG]

Robert1951 likes this.
  7. wraenking

wraenking New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    We have these below in our construction trailers. Seem to work fine. I think they are Bosch units. May work well with pups

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. wecamp

wecamp Member

We have something similar at home. It does not make enough hot water for us to do dishes using the 3 pot method. I have thought of put one in our HTT but am concerned about winterizing it. Not sure I want to have anti freeze in it for 4 or 5 months.

9. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2010
    That is a pretty neat setup. Where did you get the stand for the water heater?

10. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I made it. It's a piece of 1" perforated square steel that I welded a plate on the bottom of. Drilled a few holes to drive stakes into the ground. The heater has two keyhole slots on the back of it to hang it. I used two smaller carriage bolts on the stand that the heater hooks on to. That way I can easily remove the heater for storage.

11. Racerm305

Racerm305 New Member

Feb 20, 2015
    We just bought our first pup and were planning on adding an ecotemp inside. Our kids 7, 4, & 2 did not care for cold or luke warm campground showers. I was going to add a pump and larger tank to the pup. Then try to figure out how to construct a shower stall. Do you have any suggestions or warnings?

12. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
  13. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

Oct 25, 2012
    We have the coleman too with all the accessories.

We use it for hot water and shower duties along with the 2 room shower tent.

I have the adapter that allows me to connect it directly to the water supply which is a big plus :)

Jerry in MA

14. Jetent2

Jetent2 New Member

Oct 17, 2018
    Indiana
    Love the ideas, I have a portable shower heater could work?

15. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

May 18, 2009
    Hutto, Texas
    Ecotemp worked for me. You can use green bottles or #20 tanks. It will scald a dog. You do need a minimum of 40 LBS water pressure to make it work though.

Phoodieman

16. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We have a Coleman HWOD unit. It's works great and I got a sprayer for it to do those large pots. But the one thing that I have noticed is when we use it on really cold trips it will run for a minute or so and then shut down. We are talking 25 degrees or lower. I don't think the battery likes those cold temps [?:~{]