Anyone using a portable Air conditioner in there pop up?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by mr pep, Apr 29, 2012.

1. mr pep

mr pep Member

I am thinking of getting a portable AC unit but wonder if is a good idea. I hear that they are loud and I have to run my exhaust out of a window or think of something but have you tried one? is it a good idea? if so , where do you run your exhaust through?

2. CampingCindy

CampingCindy New Member

I had one for a couple years in my third floor, finished attic bedroom. Since it's only me, it was really difficult to put a window unit in my tiny, high up dormer window, and the portable AC seemed like the perfect fix. But here's what I learned:

[SNZ] They're LOUD, really loud, I used earplugs to sleep
    [:O] They're super inefficient (not that big a deal when you're not paying for electric at a campground though)
    they put out an awful lot of water. On really hot days my AC would put out 5 gallons of water in the 9 hours I was at work.
    [:(O] Here's the worst part- They only last two or three years. I didn't know that, but when mine broke and I complained to people, it turns out a lot of people know they don't last long. That's a LOT of money to spend on something that only lasts a bit.
    [:!] The biggest problem with using one for camping though is that it probably can't stand up in your closed up PUP, meaning either you transport it on your side and wait 8 hours to turn it on (you have to do that with fridges and AC's if they're on their side) or you transport in your TV, but they're heavy.

[2C] I'd say go for it if you're ok with the money and it's your only option. I'm still reviewing other ideas for AC while camping.

3. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

Quite a few people have used them......go up top to forums click on it and you will find the answer to your question in the section discussing a/c....good luck
    Suzanne

4. mr pep

mr pep Member

Well, I bought a Delonghi 12,000 BTU for 299.99 and added a 4 year warranty for 45.00. I hope it works and if so I will be a happy man. I am thinking of placing the exhaust vent in the wheel well. Not sure yet but want to do something neat versus having the exhaust in the zipper.

5. CampingCindy

CampingCindy New Member

Mr Manny, SMART MOVE buying the extended warranty!!!! Just watch that you don't toss it around before starting her up.

Is there a tank for the water, or does it evaporate the water as it works?

6. mr pep

mr pep Member

It's supposed to evaporate but the older model is notorious for leaks. The leaks are actually a small hole that gets clogged with dust and overflows a small tank. That tank is designed to allow water through the small hole into the hot area ( I think its the condensation area) and the heat evaporates the water and pushes it out along with the exhaust. Well, when I got home and reviewed the unit I found out how bad this thing leaks I called the company and they said that this is a new model and that that problem had been fixed. I hope so...and yes, I think teh waranty was also a good idea!!

7. jpeverroad

jpeverroad New Member

im really thinking about getting one. DH doesn't want to cut a big hole for a wall unit so i think this is going to be the way to go.

8. CampingCindy

CampingCindy New Member

Apparently you don't need to make a hole to use a window unit. I'm going to go for this method this year.

Take the cheap PVC type plastic shelving that comes apart easily from walmart or home depot, usually costs $20 or $30, stand that outside in the back of your camper. Then put your window AC unit on that. Ratchet strap the whole thing down or to the camper since it's so top heavy, andblow the cold air through the screen. Then take reflectix and cover the window parts that doesn't have cold air blowing into it. Some people drape the reflectix (with a hole cut of the AC) around the AC and tape it to the camper to get a good seal. Sounds less than attractive but PERFECT to me!

9. LISA1969

LISA1969 New Member

camping cindy do you have any pics of this idea. i have seen on here before but cant seem to find them. i like this idea better than cutting into anything? also is alot cheaper than a portable and from what i hear quieter too

10. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

I think your on to something for a portable AC, the think I might add is an extension so the hot dry air doesn't blow directly onto the tire and away from the camper.