April 2018 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Apr 1, 2018.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    For those needing a battery charge reminder - here it is.

My first trip of the year begins tomorrow, to Tucson, so today is the last push to get it packed My clothing is in, just adding staple food stuffs and other things we removed for the winter. My husband just checked all the tires for air (handy to have a compressor).
    We drained the last rinse water from last week's sanitizing run, so I'm about to add fresh water. Even though I'll have city water, we always travel with the fresh tank filled at least partway. I can use the facilities on the way, and if I have to stop overnight, I don't have to hook up to city water. (It's windy season; two years ago I had to stop overnight when the interstate closed due to no visibility from blowing dust. There are high wind cautions beginning tomorrow afternoon, so my goal is to be up and out early enough to be past the worst places before that.)

WannaTravel likes this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Battery all charged up. New water pump and only had one leak that was an easy to fix at an outside drain on our N2us camper. Stopped at Harbor freight and bought gloves, a tool bag and a tongue wrench for the lugs nuts. Also got some nice thick rubber step pads for the step.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Our first trip is in about 3 weeks ........ as long as it doesn't snow...UGH

4. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have everything in except the last minute things to be added in the morning. This will be a good shakedown trip, even with both of us checking and double checking I feel like we've missed a thing or two after the off-season. The refrigerator definitely seems on the empty side, since I'll only be eating breakfast at camp - though I do have some ice cream in the freezer.
    Caught a slight drip from the hot water tank, so my husband tightened the anode just a tad.
    Hooked it up, drove around the block and parked in front of the house, so it's ready for morning. In spite of working on the rear view camera system over Christmas, It is back to not working. No time to revisit all the wired connections, Courtenay had redone all of the ones with clips.

WannaTravel likes this.
  5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I just finished checking my tongue weight at a few different angles, with a Sherline tongue scale.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Got a day off form working ........ raining off coarse. Installed my keypad lock I got for christmas...... doesn't work. They are sending me another. Going to take a nap with Quincy.

Strawhouse likes this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Barrings were replaced and got the state inspection. Still a little too cold in the evenings to de-winterize so my first trip out this year will be with bottled water. Battery has been charged and I'm trying to track down everything I cleaned out of the camper before the winter break. I so can't wait.

Strawhouse likes this.
  8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Nice new aluminum rims and larger size tires. New pair of shoes for the Pup!

Strawhouse likes this.
  9. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    First trip is going well. Wind didn’t get too bad by the time I arrived in Tucson, though mpg was not great.
    The sweater hanging stacker I bought to try to organize the tiny closet better broke, so guess that’s a fail. One rooster catch is a bit wiggly, and I can’t seem to tighten it, so that’s on the board to fix when I get home.

10. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Had really hoped for the snow to melt, so I could tow my trailer out of it’s hibernation spot by Friday. Last night/today’s snow storm has ensured that this plan isn’t even a remote possibility. sigh...
    The next time that I’ll have time to do it is on Apr 16th. Fingers crossed...

11. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Brushed snow off of her, again.

CivilizedOne likes this.
  12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Another freezing day....... Maybe I will brave it and take my stabilizers off for modifying and paint ......

13. DerekCamperDad

DerekCamperDad New Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Calgary, AB. Canada
    Still freezing cold here with tons of snow. Popup still at storage lot.
    Did buy 2 golf cart batteries from Costco. Bought battery cables and battery box. Just need weather to clear to get it installed.
    Now to fit 2 propane tanks and the 2 batteries on the tongue of my viking 2308ST. Going to look at racks I can mod to install on the tongue or possibly put batteries in the front storage compartment with venting. We'll decide as soon as I get her back in the driveway.
    Going through camping withdrawal! Hopefully a hotel trip to Banff at the end of the month will help.

14. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Picked up my 40 foot roll of roof seal....
    [​IMG]

Looks like fun.

KTM66 likes this.
  15. Ruby Jean

Ruby Jean Member

May 30, 2017
    Bellingham, WA
    Checked to make sure the tarp covering her is still secured. Too cold and wet for anything more...

16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Sealed up the seams, working on fixing a cabinet that DH destroyed awhile back (long story,) adding 1" cushioned mattress pads and bought fitted plastic covers so I can make the beds up at home and cover them to keep clean during tear down and set up.

This weekend, will be repacking supplies that have been used, or borrowed, from the camper. Bought a pizza bag for the BAL leveler and going to try to organize the storage trunk before heading out Monday.

17. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Trundled home from Tucson, after staying in the KOA there. Definitely not wilderness camping, or anything approaching it; it's huge compared to most KOAs we stop in. It makes a good place to park while visiting, though.
    Turned out a Rally for GMC Motor Homes began today, and there were lots of early arrivals. This one was next to me.

Our electrical gremlin seems to have returned. Yesterday, I got an alert beep from the LP/CO detector - similar to having a low battery, but I was plugged in. I'd had some blinking of a reading light the night before, I thought it was a bulb going bad. This morning, after I disconnected from the power, there were no inside lights, and the idiot light panel blinked and stayed dark. When I stopped to check on things 50 or so miles down the road, all was well.
    So far our theories are loose connections, a converter going bad, or some such intermittent failure. I don't remember hearing the converter fan kick on this year, maybe not even last fall.

Attached Files:

18. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Have you seen this GM Futureliner by Kindig? What a beauty...

78DCA53E-4A2B-4CB6-99C7-C4B84359F0BF.jpeg

Katskamper, jnc and kitphantom like this.
  19. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We ordered a new converter, after pulling the other one out to inspect. That produced the fault alarm on the LP/CO detector. We still assume that the convertor is going bad, given the range of symptoms. My husband will be inspecting/tightening connections along the way, though.

20. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Made a kitchen caddy for my new outdoor sink. Waiting on weather to clam down (wind) to open camper and get it ready for first trip in 54 days.

Attached Files:

prop630 and Strawhouse like this.