Are BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler's really necessary?

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by barbjmj, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Aug 9, 2011
    Central WI
    I've said this before...and there's a few caveats...if you have a light camper to rotate and/or your orientation is not important and the ground permits it.
    Side to side level can be done by rotating the camper...there will be 2 positions (180 degrees apart) that you will be level. Then adjust tongue the jack.
    Extremes aside...this does work! [:)C]

2. wanderlustig

wanderlustig New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    I think someone else already wrote that it's the best thing you never know you needed.

We are not good at backing up our tent trailer (getting better all the time) and don't want to be carrying lots of wood or lynx blocks around. Plus with three young kids this goes much faster and the kids get a kick out of helping us level. Our 5-year old son especially likes to ratchet up the leveler. We don't always use it, but we've used it often enough to be glad we have it.

I think I had actually bought the leveler and the chock before we picked up our pup.

3. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

May 30, 2011
    40 nights in my Pup, and never needed more than my Lynx Levelers and wheel chocks.

4. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I bought a Bal Leveler off Craigslist. Best purchase yet! Being alone,I just back up to where I want it, and unhook pup from truck. Put leveler under low side and lift until level. Much easier for one person.

5. N1BRU

N1BRU New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Yup, just got my BAL delivered and tried it out, pretty slick invention. Goes up and down easy and it really makes a differance when the camper is LEVEL all the way around. Best $65 I ever spent.

6. dwalker80

dwalker80 Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

May 3, 2013
    BAL Leveler is a great thing to have. But you def don't "NEED" it. Just one of those things that makes setting up that much easier!!! [:D]

Keep Calm and Camp on.... [CP]

7. phantom_yj

phantom_yj New Member

Jul 31, 2012
    My vintage pup is super light and I almost never have it in the site the "conventional" way because we camp at privates almost exclusively and they just are too narrow to put up my Dometic Cabana. So I just turn it to suit by hand. The BAL makes that practice about 10 million times easier.

8. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    as a newbie with no backing ability and little help from dw, bal is a marriage saver. electric tongue jack and torpedo level in camper make life wonderful. also bal leveler will also chock wheel making pup even more stable

newbie dan [ALPU]

9. ham fam

ham fam Member

Jul 20, 2016
    Kaukauna WI
    Thinking of switching to one of these, instead of using the red Anderson leveler with the wedge and moon shape leveler. Anybody make this move with better results?

10. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    You will find the BAL leveler larger....more cumbersome and messier (grease) than the andersen. I made the opposite switch and have never regretted it.....keep the andersen!

11. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    I use the Bal and love it, they don't have to be greasy. You keep it clean and use a dry lube on it. Offers enough lubrication for the threads and doesn't attract the dirt like grease or anti seize. I personally use Finish Line Dry Lube because I use it on my mountain bike. It is cumbersome but I have a full size truck so that doesn't bother me at all. It does have a larger lift than the Anderson

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I used the B.A.L. Leveler on my PUP, but my small TT was to heavy, I have a set of lynx levelers but have never used them, I tried a set of the plastic ramps but they cracked, I went back to my old standby of 2X8 PT. Wood, and it works the best for me, I also made 2 sets of chocks out of 4X4 PT wood and tied them together with a piece of mule tape so I can pick them up without bending over. No matter what you use do not forget to use chocks prior to unhooking from the TV or you could do as I did ONCE , chasing the runaway PUP down a hill :)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    The Bal is also wheel chocks, but it is not heavy duty, definitely not for tt. a lot of it depends on your situation. I can't see my pup behind the truck, I usually back up and do the set up by myself. The Anderson would be a lot of back and forth. If you are on fairly level ground, can see a level from TV or have someone to watch the level the Anderson is probably a better choice.

14. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    If your doing a lot of back and forth with the andersen your not doing it right.....

15. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Personally I prefer the BAL. It allows me to fine tune the camper in ways I could never do with an Anderson. I run my A/C all the time so I have runoff to deal with. My roof is domed so it is helpful to fine tune the level after unhooking. For me I get much more utility out of it. You just have to look at how you camp and whether it would be a better fit for you or not .

16. ham fam

ham fam Member

Jul 20, 2016
    Kaukauna WI
    For those of you that use the BAL, I know they have a weight limit. Ever had any problems there? We own a 2004 12’ Rockwood Freedom 2290.

17. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    Well when you can't see a level and no one's going to tell you when to stop it's a guessing game. I can just barely see the top of my bubble window
    No but my setup is fairly light, maybe 2400 pounds

18. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    I actually have a dual axle HTT and I use 2 bal levelers. The wheels are too close together to use Andersen Levelers.

19. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Boulder, Colorado
    We have a motley collection of Lynx leveling blocks, some red-painted 2x8 pieces, and the BAL Leveler. On pavement or hard ground I find the Lynx blocks quick to use. After a couple years I got pretty good at guesstimating how many blocks it will take to get level enough for the reefer to work. On soft ground I use the BAL because it allows me to easily make level adjustments after the trailer has settled. Some of the places we camp we need all the blocks we can pack, under a wheel, under stabilizers, and sometimes under the tongue jack.

20. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Thousand Oaks CA
    I've got a HW Niagara that checks in at nearly 4k, the BAL works just fine.