Are Rear Pup Mounted Bike Racks a Bad Idea? The Best Way?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Ryanincc, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Ziggs76

Ziggs76 Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I decided to take the risk and welded a receiver on the back of my PUP. It is welded and bolted to the bumper and frame and I added re-enforcements under the trailer. I am not suggesting anyone else do it, but it has worked out for me. It have had no issues while towing and no damage to the bumper/frame. Again, it could just be my setup (TV and trailer), but it does work and can be done in some cases.

[​IMG]

2. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Nice!

Any idea what your tongue weight is when the bikes are on the rack?

JR

3. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    We were told by the dealer that our Niagara bumper would hold 150lbs. We're looking at the 4 bike Swagman.

4. Ziggs76

Ziggs76 Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Bike rack and 2 bikes weight in at 90 lbs. combined.

5. Buick Guy

Buick Guy Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Lots of good ideas in here!

I spent time before we went camping the first time trying to make a receiver work on my back bumper but it was a failure and started to bend.

I figured I would do like Ziggs76 did but my crank unit is there for raising the top.

I think I will try the dual receiver idea but I have to clear a 35" tire on the back of my Jeep. I have the perfect hitch to modify at home so I guess the welder comes out this weekend if I see that will work. If not I will be off to the store to buy aluminum and build a roof top carrier [:D]

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

The dual receiver rear mounts are nice if you have the TV to support it. As it is I already have to be careful how I load the pup because of tongue weight... no way I could support the weight of bikes plus the pup on the rear hitch. So I ended up picking up a Swagman roof rack on Craigslist... low frills but it does work.

7. Gardener

Gardener New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Thank you for this and
    thank you for this, especially the pictures!