Are we hooked up?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by WingShot, Oct 31, 2014.

1. WingShot

WingShot New Member

In another thread, Jayco said "most of us camp at campgrounds that minimally provide electricity". Sorry, Jayco, not really calling you out...but I'm curious if thats true or not? We have only camped with electrical one time, and that was at a KOA for one night on our way to Yellowstone. The local campgrounds we frequent are all dry.

Do most of us camp with hookups or off the grid?

2. PhillyTitan

PhillyTitan New Member

The family and I almost always go to campgrounds with 30A service or better. I can only boondock when it's just me cause I got four needy girls.

3. dion

dion Member

Our trips are almost always without electricity or other hookups. Sometimes the most convenient place for a quick overnight stop en route happens to be a place that has hookups, but we don't seek them out, and we'll never pay extra for a site with hookups. But sometimes we end up with an electric site because that's what's available. I usually don't bother to connect the power cord, because our trailer is self-sufficient with its tongue-mounted battery. I can only recall actually making use of hookups once, when the weather was quite cold, and we used 15 amp service to provide power for a ceramic heater.

But it's hard to generalize about "us" on the portal. I know there are plenty who won't consider camping without hookups. There are some who never ever use them. And there are some who are in the middle, using them sometimes and doing without at other times.

4. goody59

goody59 Member

No electricity, no water hookup for me is camping. If I have all those connections it is parking in a caravan park in my books. Both are done by me, both are enjoyed. Mix it up a bit I say.

5. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

The majority of our trips involve electricity thanks to my DW. She likes her AC and heat.

6. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Usually with power, sometimes with water. Occasionally without either but thats because thats whats around here.

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Being in coastal NC, except for spring and fall when we don't need air conditioning we camp where there is electricity. 98 degrees and 80% humidity make for unpleasant sleeping conditions at night.

8. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Electrical service for us, when we camp. Have only had a couple sites where the water service was at the site, and we don't use that for a hook-up, only to fill pans, etc as needed.

Maybe someday I will be able to convince my wife to try a dry camping stay. But I'm partly driving the need too, because if it's hot I'm really going to want to run a fan in the pup to try and stay comfortable. And since we've usually chosen elec sites, we added the compact refrigerator, which is somewhat helpful, although very limited in capacity. We have used elec space heaters on a couple of our trips too, since the pup is not equipped with a propane furnace.

That has been 'roughing it' enough for us. Still enjoy our get-aways even keeping some of the 'creature comforts'.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

All of our adventures so far have all have had sites that minimally had hydro ..

10. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

After decades of sleeping on rocks, we now opt for power, water, and sewer. Some of the parks we like don't have sewer, so we use a portable waste tank in those parks. We bought our pup in large part for its amenities and conveniences.
    M&K

11. moose_mom

moose_mom Member

To date we have not been anywhere that did not have at least water and electricity. That doesn't mean that going off the grid would not be in our future, it just hasn't happened yet.

12. highlander70

highlander70 New Member

We like to have at least electric, don't see any boon docking in our future anytime soon

13. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We only pay for utilities if there's a good reason to, such as the sites are nicer or we're required to. Usually it seems the nicer sites have no or minimal utilities.

14. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

It does seem to be true in a lot of CG's that the nicer sites are "primitive." We miss that aspect of tent camping and backpacking (getting more remote). But we've gotten soft(er).

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Most of our camping is in public campgrounds, usually state and national parks and national forest campgrounds. Those campgrounds are usually dry camping, that is, without any hook-ups. A few parks have added electricity since we first camped in them, though not usually water or sewer. We try to have power when we camp in cold weather, so we don't have to worry about re-charging the battery and can use our electric mattress pad; sometimes a supplemental space heater.
    For traveling days, such as the cross-country trip we just finished, we usually try to camp with power. Now that we have a microwave, that was handy for quickly reheating our frozen meals (we take our home-made soups, stews, etc.)

[We have not boondocked - that is camping outside a designated campground - with any of our campers. The only boondocking we do is backpacking, and there are a couple of places DH camps in Grand Canyon that might even not be termed boondocking, Bright Angel Campground in the bottom has campsites, picnic tables, flush toilets.]

16. tex02

tex02 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 2005 TrailManor 3023

We do probably a 60/40 mix 60% hookups and 40% dry camping, that is because most of the state parks are no hookups, but we are not totally without power, we do use a 1000 Honda genny to power things up, this is when we used our pop up, since we now have a larger Trailmanor, we need to find a state park that will accommodate us, the park we frequented had a max length of 20ft, our pop up was only a few feet over opened and fit with no issues, our Trailmanor is 23ft closed, 30ft open, definitely too big [:(]

Tex

17. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I do both. The queen would rarely go camping outside late fall, early winter and early spring. She rather deal with cold than heat. I camp anytime and my fishing trips are boondocking all the time.

18. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

There isn't a whole lot of dry camping out here. Not true boon docking. There are parks that have some non-electric sites, but other than that, they are the same.

Maryland is hit and humid in the summer, so AC is a must. Besides, electric sites are usually just a few dollars more.

I would love to do some boon docking out west in some of those big, beautiful parks. Out here in the mid-Atlantic, the parks just aren't like that.

19. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Either way. Hook ups are pricey in some places, and dry camping gets you more places. I'm set up either way. If the power is there and cheap, I'll take it. If it isn't, I have my toys to do what I need done.

20. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Always hook ups for us.