Atwood 7916-11 furnace install

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Vescoleman, May 23, 2018.

1. Vescoleman

Vescoleman Member

So I’m installing a furnace in my pup and I have several questions. I got the furnace out of a pup that was being gutted, it looks like it was never used. I have already installed the furnace which was fairly simple because my pup was equipped for this model to be included from the factory so most of my questions are about connecting the lp and a thermostat.

First question is I plan to use the propane line coming in for the stove which i don’t plan to use ever. On my pup the regulator is up by the tank and that connects to a copper tube that splits under the pup one goes to the indoor stove and the other to the outdoor stove hookup. Do I need to put a shut off valve in front of the furnace or does the furnace have one built in?

The other question is about a thermostat. The pup I removed it from didn’t have one anywhere outside of the furnace but I couldn’t find anywhere in the manual that this model has a built in thermostat, does anyone know?

Last question is my pup has wires in the bottom of the cabinet with a factory label on them that says furnace. There is a black, white, and orange wire. I’m guessing the black and white are for the dc fan, what’s the orange for?

Oh and I plan to add a carbon monoxide detector for the safety of my family. Any suggestions on a good battery operated one?

Thanks guys!

2. Vescoleman

Vescoleman Member

Any help is greatly appreciated I have to get this buttoned up today. Nothing like waiting till last minute lol.

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The Furnace has a shutoff built in. Make sure the you have a LP/CO detector. and I will try to get a look at my furnace wires in a little while.

4. Vescoleman

Vescoleman Member

Thanks you!

5. Vescoleman

Vescoleman Member

Does yours have a built in thermostat?

6. jnc

Not on it. It's mounted on the Dinette bench.

7. Vescoleman

Vescoleman Member

Ok the one I took out didn’t have any wires going anywhere to a thermostat, I guess I’ll need to add one.

8. jnc

PM sent

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The orange wire is from the thermostat. Look around the dinette bases, etc for the thermostat harness. Orange wire to furnace, black to 12 volt power. I suggest you DO NOT mount your thermostat where the harness is located. Usually it is in a hard to operate place. Pick somewhere where the thermostat can be operated easily and a good location to monitor the camper temperature. Lastly dump the factory thermostats, junk...... add a simple digital one. You will be much happier. Just extend the black and orange wires to the new location.
    Just to add ..... for those of you thinking to install a radio, pick the radio and its location carefully. No one wants to lie or the floor to change the stations.

DJS12354 likes this.
  10. Vescoleman

Vescoleman Member

Ok great so the other side of orange routes to the underside of my dinette bench right next to the converter but i don’t see another black wire there. If this just supplies the thermostat with 12v I can just pick it up from the back of the converter right?

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

yes

12. Vescoleman

Vescoleman Member

All installed and working! Thanks for the help guys.