Atwood 7916-II won't light

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Westlake, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Westlake

Westlake New Member

I'm a newbie to this site as well as popups. I've done a lot of searching on this site and others with no success. I recently purchased a 2001 Coleman Westlake that has the Atwood 7916-II furnance that I cannot get to light to save my life. I've tried and checked about everything I've read about here. The thermostat is on, and temp all the way up. I've bled the system and opened the valve slowly. My fridge and stove, both downstream work fine. I've checked fuses and breakers. The fan starts then 5-10 seconds later I can hear the valve open then a fast and strong spark for about 5 seconds before stopping. It goes through this cycle 3 times before the fan just runs blowing cold air. Where others have said their fan eventually stops and they get a blinking error message, mine just seems to keep running and I don't even see a light that would blink on mine. If I step outside I can smell propane from the exhaust port but only while the ignitor is sparking. Once it stops, so does the gas smell. The furnace was never used or attempted to be used by the PO if that is any help. I have gas and spark but no fire and running low on ideas. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Have you taken the front cover off the furnace and turned the gas walve switch to ON (small red rocker switch on mine)?

Try this document http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflameservice.pdf

The newer models have flashing lights, not sure your's does, my '96 does not.
    Sounds as if everything is happening in the 'sequence of operation' except the gas valve opening. See the document, 'sequence of operation' (page 16) and troubleshooting Page 28 and before, could be dirt daubers in exhaust etc.

[​IMG]

3. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

could have a plugged burners or spark igniter is too weak to ignite the gas. I have seen this in larger home furnaces

4. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

My funace would not light when i bought my pup. same symptoms as you mentioned . I had to take it to a dealer and found my igniter was corroded and also there was some corrosion at the buner. unit had never been used. they cleaned it out and installed a new igniter and it has worked like a charm ever since. I guess just sitting a few years corrosion gets inside.
    pat

5. Westlake

Westlake New Member

Well, I finally was able to get some fire in the furnace. After a lot of troubleshooting with trial & error, it seems the electrode was not in just the right spot to ignite the gas. I ended up having to bend the end of the electrode down just a bit to get it closer to the burner. Now it fires off almost immediatly every time. It came in real handy while the wife & I went on our first PUP camping trip over Valentines Weekend.

Capnjb likes this.
  6. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

Great deal. I glad you were able to figure it out and get in a good camping trip. Sounds like you stuck with it until you won.