Atwood Furnace Cover Retaining Clip Replacement?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by CamL48, Mar 19, 2012.

1. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Feb 20, 2012
    There is a small retaining clip (nut) that holds the furnace cover in place. See the bottom of the photo below. It's the kind that you turn it with a screwdriver to "fatten" the clips behind and keep the cover in place. Mine just broke in two. I don't even know what this kind of clip is called ... so I cannot figure out how to look up a replacement. Does anyone know what these clips are and/or where I can get a replacement?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Aircamperace

Aircamperace New Member

May 23, 2014
  3. Jennifer Hickey

Jennifer Hickey New Member

Jul 13, 2017
    TX
  4. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Feeling like $12 was rather steep for that, out of curiosity, I used Chrome to search for a similar image (right click on image and select 'use google to search for similar image') and found the same item for $3.43. No idea if the link/company below is good to do business with - but just sharing this simple way to search for alternatives when shopping around - especially when something seems more expensive than what you might expect.

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/atwood-hydroflame-furnace-door-latch-37912

5. Fless

Fless Active Member

That appears to be a standard latch. If you have an outside fridge vent it may have the same fasteners; you could substitute one of those for your furnace one to see if the openings are the same style and fit. Agree with @nhlakes, search for "rv vent twist latch" or some variation of that; there are plenty out there at lower prices than the Amazon link. And if you can shop locally I'd bet any RV store would have them. Myself, I'd be picking up a few just to have handy.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I think those clips are a pain .......... what is wrong with a simple screw or wing nut.

7. Fless

Fless Active Member

I whole-heartedly agree. Seems like there oughta be a better way.