Atwood Furnace makes horrible noise, unpredictably.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Tonimus, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Tonimus

Tonimus Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I've got a '94 Coleman with an Atwood furnace in it. Sometimes when it's firing up and or running, it sounds like a weed whacker with a bad bearing. I've never been into a furnace before and I don't know what could be causing the sound. I'd guess the blower wheel is intermittently making contact with the housing, creating the noise, but I'm not sure how to track down the noise... Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    That would be my guess. Take it out and start digging in till you get to the blower.

3. Tonimus

Tonimus Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I need to fire up the furnace without propane and see if it'll make the noise without heating up.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

It may be a bad bearing but check to see that the fan is tightly attached to the shaft. It should have a set screw or two and if the shaft is not flatted the fan could be vibrating. This is speculation since you didn't say the model.

Tom

5. Tonimus

Tonimus Member

Jul 11, 2012
    It's an Atwood Everest 8012

6. nomoretent

nomoretent New Member

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm not expert, but ours did that after we ran it without propane. We banged on it a little, cranked up the heat and let it run with propane for a while. Works now! You might want to check through the vent outside for bug nests.

7. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    It could be that the fan is hitting the edge of the shroud when it heats up and the metal expands a bit. Your going to have get in to it and see if the fan is real close to the shroud. Good luck.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    There is a 'fan' on each end of the motor, one to force air out and one to supply air to the burner.

The 8012 is an energy mizer, less than 2 amp compared to the 7900 series at 3.4 A [A]

Several docs @ bryantrv.com

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontaio
    I would say you either have a bad bearing or the "birdcage" fan is actually starting to separate from itself..

10. turborich

turborich Active Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Those furnace motors are very cheaply built and don't use bearings, They use bushings and they need to be oiled from time to time. You'll have to pull the furnace out and dissemble a few things to get at the motor. If you're mechanically inclined then you'll be OK. If it is the motor bushings then you can try to use some light oil to lube both of the bushings. This may or may not work as it depends how worn they are. I have done it several times with great success. If it's shot then you'll need a new motor. [2C]

11. rd3

rd3 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I've never heard of one that didn't make noise like that. I've had two and they both did and read a lot of stories about the same problem. If you figure out how to make it stop I would love to know about it. I use a Mr. Heater buddy because its quite and doesn't use any battery power.

12. turborich

turborich Active Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV.
    They make noise because the bushings are dry.

13. generok

generok Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Our Atwood 7900 ran two nights straight and it just sounded like a car fan running, no vibrations. When ours runs low on LP, it begins to clunk as the regulator gets low on pressure, but that's all.