Audi Q7

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by chrispt, May 22, 2019.

1. chrispt

chrispt Member

Never did I realize how grueling it would be to find a tow vehicle for our 2007 Fleetwood Niagara.

I think we may have a couple options that will work but wanted to ask everyone. We are now looking at a 2012 Audi Q7. It has the factory installed tow package which per Audi will tow 6615 lbs, with a max tongue weight of 662 lbs. One thing though is they say a WDH is not recommended (I had to find this in the Audi forums). We have one presently, but I assume I could just not use it and use a separate ball with the 2" receiver?

2. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

What's the payload capacity of the Audi? You may be having the bumper drag the ground when you hook the Niagara up.

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

It's a heavy trailer but you might not need a WD (you can still get a stand-alone sway bar). I don't know anything about this Audi, but it sounds heavier duty than the other ones you were looking at. Does it have the adjustable suspension thingy? That should keep it level, assuming it's not too much weight.

4. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

This got tossed around a lot with the BMW X5 and race trailers. The X5 diesel is a total beast of a TV by the way. The Euro market does not use WDS hitches and there's some random info that the auto leveling and things like that may not be happy with a WDS hitch. If it were me, I'd use it.

5. chrispt

chrispt Member

So, the dealer we are talking to let us do a 24 hour test drive. I brought it home and put the hitch on for the WDH without the torsion bars. I hitched it up just on the ball and saw no noticeable sag in the back. The factory spec with the tow package (which is what is on it) says 6615 and 662 lbs for tow and tongue, respectively. This one is actually a TDI as well. Not sure on the adjustable suspension but I feel like after this long arduous search maybe it is nearing it's end finally (fingers crossed)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

But is it a good color? :)

It does sound like a winner!

7. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

When I tried to find a WDH for my GLK 350 I found out that because of the way the receiver hitch attaches to the car a WDH was not possible The GLK receiver hitch does not have any longitudinal supports extending from the hitch mounts down either side. I have the hitch attaching to the unibody at a point on either side of the rear of the GLK and then a bar and plate extending from the center of the hitch receiver that attaches to the front side center of differential on the IRS. Without the longitudinal frames on the sides there is no way for the hitch load to extend down the unibody chassis to front wheels. Contact E Trailer by phone and they can help. Phone 800-298-8924. I hope you have better news than I did.

8. chrispt

chrispt Member

I think as someone mentioned, I can just use it without the torsion bars and add the sway bar into there. It's in for a PPI right now, so hoping it's all good news!

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

TDI = Turbocharged Direct Injection. Used on VW diesel engines.

11. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

PPI - Pre Purchase Inspection?

12. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Won't a diesel engine weigh the front end down negating the need for WDH? :)

13. chrispt

chrispt Member

Yep!

14. chrispt

chrispt Member

This is my first diesel, so I don't really know :)

15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

They tend to be super heavy--and they also tend to be great for towing.

But I still don't know anything about Audis. It just sounds like a good thing!

16. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

Its closely related to the Touareg and the Cayenne - both of those are insane for towing. I seem to remember when the Touareg first came out, the towing capacity was "yes"

17. chrispt

chrispt Member

So I think we are going to take out our Niagara for a true camping experience this weekend. Should I use the torsion bars or no?

18. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Better start a new thread on that so it gets the proper attention. I don't know if you can use a WD hitch without attaching it all the way. But I'm sure someone here does. :)

Ideally, you'd want to get a plain old draw bar of the correct height, hook it up, and see if it lifts the front of the TV.