August 2018 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Battery charge/maintenance reminder for those who need it. I know I do, since our TT has been plugged in for months, so we need to check the water level.

After several hail storms, I decided I should look at the TT's roof. We've only had pea-size to half in hail, but still seemed like a good idea. From what I can see from the house roof, it look good, but it is about time to do a wash and treatment anyway. (I don't do ladders, we have a flat roof, with stairs to get there.)

I reset the max/min thermometer. Top cabin temp has been 102 over the last couple of days. Freezer has stayed in the teens (it was 11 this morning) and refrigerator topped out at 37.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Drilled out the rivets and then rescrewed the storage door under the door. It was ripped off. Took the pup to get the brakes checked and adjusted. I'll get it back t omorow and then it's organizing time as we head out for lake George in 3 weeks! Also i should maybe practice driving with it, probubly not.......

3. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Plugged it in to charge battery and cool fridge down in anticipation of this weekend's outing.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Looked longingly at our pup as I pulled into the driveway.....next camp isn't till the end of August..... & it's too damn hot to work on it in the evenings. I have a couple of small projects I want to do, but not till it cools down a bit.....supposed to be a lot cooler for the weekend, maybe then

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I bought a new Camp Chef oven for the DW.

Katskamper and PopUpSteve like this.
  6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    After returning from our Michigan trip I will go thru the whole pup and see what loosened up and needs fixing. There are two wood screws that hold the furnace in place in the cabinet and one of them fell out! Went to go screw it back in and it would not tighten. So did the old wooden matchstick trick. Put some wood glue on a matchstick and shoved it in the screw hole. Let it dry and trimmed the matchstick. Drilled a new pilot hole and now the screw is nice and tight!

Also have an issue with some of the exterior trim screws backing out from vibration. Fixed that too! Took the screw out and squirted some clear silicon caulk into the whole and put the screw back in. I have tried LockTite in the past but the screws still tend to back out. So far the screws I have used the silicon in have not backed out.

7. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @silvermickey2002 - checking for loosened fasteners is part of our routine, though there are always those that we don't notice until they're really loose. We have to tighten ones along the bottom of the siding, and have done the toothpick trick with a couple.
    We had to go to larger fasteners on the furnace grill, since they kept working out.
    The sneaky one for us in the TT was the microwave. We finally figured out that the adjustable feet it stands on in the niche would jiggle all the way back in, so it was suspended by the front garnish frame. Courtenay made a base for it to sit on.

Sjm9911 and silvermickey2002 like this.
  8. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    091D0AF3-934B-4EA5-BAA4-3BDD7EC65A12.jpeg
    That’s what I did! After 3 weekends of hard labor and a maiden voyage to the beach I am happy to be able to put the cover on until the next trip (Labor Day). It feels good to do nothing to it, lol. Of course I still need to replace the one bed rail but that will need to be ordered etc.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Pnut

Pnut Member

Jul 8, 2018
    NE Georgia
    A trick I learned to fix striped holes in wood is using a matchstick or toothpick as stated above but also use some super glue in the hole. I use some from the hobby shop used to make model airplanes and it's called thin ca. It is like water it's so thin. You put your match sick in the hole and squirt some of the glue in the hole and it will get very hard. Be very careful with the glue because it is so thin it will run out of the hole if you use too much, so I use a paper towel right under the hole in case it runs out. Also it will instantly stick your fingers together or anything you touch. You may be able to find it a craft store.

10. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    I had the wheel bearings done in anticipation of our August trip. I also fixed the hole in the floor from the flat tire last month.

11. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We topped off the batteries, since the TT has been plugged in since some time in April. 3 cells needed just a bit of water. As usual, when the batteries (or battery when we had just one) have been disconnected, there was a lag time before we had power again after reconnecting. Never have figured that out.

12. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I packed up the pup and took out what we won’t need on this trip. It’s different than most in that there’s no hookups and it’s in bear country (Elkmont Campround in the Smokies) so I added stuff for dry camping and took out some things I won’t be using like my outdoor galley setup and stove (I’ll be using a Coleman stove away from the pup).

Then I busted out the trusty Speedy Stitcher to patch a failing seam on the bunk end that’s been on my to-do list for a while.

13. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Got a few things done this weekend.

Finally managed to fix my awning which the edge beam had gotten bent in a heavy rain storm last year. Yes, I did have it tilted but it was one of those flash flood type storms.

I put a tire cover on the spare. I could have gotten one with a PopUpPortal logo on it but it wouldn’t be seen with the TrashARoo backpack on the tire.

2EDACF9E-8F60-4CDD-8B33-4419C77809CB.jpeg
    082BBE6A-00D9-4025-A3B4-D76BCC73F417.jpeg

BikeNFish and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Got this today through Amazon, 18.50 . It replaced the older 18 yo Colman bags, the bags were on there way out so I saw this and was sceptical but it looks good and it fit in so tight, I don't even have to tie it down.

Attached Files:

Orchid and PopUpSteve like this.
  15. pasobuff

pasobuff Active Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I started laying out the new flooring in the camper.....hoping to work on it more tonight.....the pain in the neck part will be the angled sections where cabinets and the sink are, but I think I have that figured out. I even managed to get the door threshold up, but I do have to figure out how to get it to sit flush.......

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 and PopUpSteve like this.
  16. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Just bought and replaced old mattress with new mattresses on both bunkends. to my surprise, the old mattress was 3 inches and the new one is at 4 inches. I added floor padding under the mattress for extra comfort.

Sjm9911, pasobuff and emoney like this.
  17. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Bought a roll of Reflectix so that I can cut out window inserts.

I will cut out the inserts this next long weekend (Thursday to Monday) while pupping on the Minnesota/Canada border.

Sjm9911 and pasobuff like this.
  18. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Get a roll of the silver foil heater duct tape for the edges. That will help protect the canvas and the screens.

Katskamper, Sjm9911 and BikeNFish like this.
  19. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Great tip! Thanks!!

Katskamper likes this.
  20. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Sjm9911, BikeNFish and jnc like this.
Thread Status: