Awning....like going 10 rounds with Ali

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by ccr052700, Oct 22, 2017.

1. ccr052700

ccr052700 New Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Took the popup out by myself this weekend and all was pretty easy EXCEPT the darn awning. I love having an awning - but it took longer to put up than all of the other setup combined and the tension rods caused me to utter words I'd rather not repeat. The next day I was so sore I could have swore I went 10 rounds in my sleep. I had help putting it up....thank goodness or I may have ripped the darn thing off.

Is there an easier way? This is a simple bag awning with three tension rods used horizontally and three extension rods with anchor hooks to use vertically. I googled electric awning but holy smokes the price! Any tips or any model of awnings that are easier to set up but won't break the bank? We have the add a room as well - came with the camper but haven't used it yet. The thought of any extra wrangling - UGH!

Wilkywoods likes this.
  2. rerspain

rerspain Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    I hate my awning. A lot of people use a 10 x 10 ez up. My wife won’t let me use an ez up and makes me setup the awning everytime.

pasobuff likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    On my old Jayco I never bothered with the awning on short trips. So was not worth the time and headache. Although it sounds like you have tension poles that also go up which would complicate the process further. They do make a simpler version of a bag awning, but again expensive to replace. The awning only consists of three poles and of course the awning. You unroll the awning and put the poles vertical with the ground. Tie the guy lines and your done. I'm kind of doing it this way with my cheap tarp awning. Just getting those poles to stay upright wile putting the other guy line in is a pain in the rear.

4. pasobuff

pasobuff Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Upstate NY
    yup - 10x10 or so ez-up was our choice when we had our pup.....never opened the awning bag on either one!

5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    My wife don't make me, but she always ask when are we going to put the ez-up over the picnic table. Awning gets set up when I set camper up, getting easier and easier each time, but mine does not have all the poles that your does. Mine Trimline awning has 2 vertical and 2 horizontal.
    upload_2017-10-23_8-3-26.jpeg

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We have a TrimLine awning which it sounds like you have, or something similar. With two people we can set it up in well under 5 minutes. By myself, I can get it done but would take a lot longer.

We set up the awning every trip... more for rain than sun. Keeps the area by the door dry, allows us to keep windows open all night without worrying about rain coming in, etc. Can't imagine going without it, and an EZUp wouldn't keep that area dry.

crackerJack likes this.
  7. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Georgia
    Mine was an after market add-on, it had tension rods, but the tension rod had clips to attach to the trailer so it would not slip off. However, the legs were a pain. The awning was always setup (DW wanted it).
    Here is what I did: I would raise the roof about 1-2 feet (this provided a nice elevation to work at), get the awning out of the bag, unroll and rest the end on my ice chests. The set the two tension rods in place and tighten. After that, then pull the legs out and raise them up. Next raise the roof the rest of the way and then go around a fine-tune. To close, just go backwards.

8. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    When setting up the awning I use a procedure similar to 4xMeteor. But we often don't set it up at all due to the chance of high winds. I'm considering this bumper mounted umbrella for use when I think I want to make some shade quickly.

9. Lanternman

Lanternman Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Mooresville NC
    Add another vote for the EZ up, we keep one on standby for rain or blazing sun. Never seen the awning on either of our pups, couldnt even tell you what color they are.

10. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Kind of interesting to read these opinions. I find that putting up an ez up by myself is just as difficult as putting up the awning.

tfischer likes this.
  11. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Yup. EZup. You can use it along with the awning or on it's own.

I have an awning, EZup and a stand alone screen tent to choose from. I have used them in all combinations. It all depends on the bugs, sun, wind and available setup help.

It's nice to have choices.

12. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I've used my EZup for tailgating before football games (Go, Gophers!) to keep my elderly father and his friends out of the sun/rain. I usually set up and tore it down by myself and could do it in five to ten minutes. Much quicker than my awning would take even with help.

13. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    That's the thing - it only takes me 5-10 minutes to set up my awning by myself. Unroll it, put one tension rod together, stab it through the leg and one end of the awning, then against the top of the camper. Move to the other side, do the same. I raise it all the was before putting in the middle support.

14. Sharonjh

Sharonjh New Member

Aug 9, 2016
    What brand of awning do you have? I'm currently looking at purchasing the fiamma caravanstore awning and hoping this isn't as difficult to put up as the one you have.

15. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I love my trim line. So much easier and faster than the old Coleman oem awning.

16. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    I don’t find it hard to put the awning up by myself. I do it pretty much like eoleson1 except I wait for the roof to be all the way up before I start putting it up

17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Another reason we went dark, now I just unlock and pull out, reverse for roll up. When we had a PUP (I still use a 20' parabolic tarp for canoe camping) I used 2 lines for each end about 45 deg angles once one end was up I did the other end. Rolling up was my main problem and never did get easier.

18. Katskamper

Katskamper Member

Nov 21, 2015
    built in poles are a pain! it helps to put vertical legs down first.
    so, i made a simple awning for the back side.
    i plan tomake it permanently attached, but for this first test trip, clamp pins.

Attached Files: