Awning Track replacement

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by dmcrowe, Aug 15, 2010.

1. dmcrowe

dmcrowe New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland,OH
    The awning fell off my 1997 Coleman Sun Valley. Looks like the glue holding the track to the ABS roof just gave out. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement track? The current one is intact, but cleaning the old adhesive properly will be a lot of work. Plus, it's pretty warped and discolored once I removed the bag part of the awning. I just want the long plastic track that is glued to the roof. The awing and bag itself that slide into the track are in good condition. Thanks.

2. d ackley

d ackley New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    any good size rv store will have that channel, Donnie,

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    You may want to take the time to clean the existing track when you learn how much to replace it will cost. Try using some Goo-Gone, I have found that stuff really works well.

4. dmcrowe

dmcrowe New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland,OH
    Wow, were you right PopUpSteve! The local RV place quoted $78 for the part PLUS $100+ for shipping (since it's over 8').

So the next question is what to use to remove the old adhesive from the track? I've tried Acetone and it doesn't help much. Only effective thing I found was a razor blade, but that's a lot of danger/work and I scarred up the track more than I'd like in the section I did.

5. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Goof-Off is another very good cleaner.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I found a listing for c-channel in 4' lengths, $6.00 each, here:
    http://www.interwestsports.com/bag%20awnings.html
    Scroll down the page to find the channel.

We haven't bought it yet, but were considering it for adding a back awning on our pup.

7. TheSullivans

TheSullivans New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    There is also a Goo Gone Xtreme, which will take off just about anything (including paint!). I picked up a can at Walmart, in the paint section.
    Goo Gone Xtreme

8. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Just for the C Channel? That is robbery when most places sell that sell bag awnings sell the track for around $6-$10 per 4 foot section.

As mentioned interwestsports sells it for $6 per section and so does Rv Worshop. http://www.enter.net/kart/kart.pl?cart=rvworkshop&action=category2&catid=52&pwidth=3 Bottom of the page.

9. dmcrowe

dmcrowe New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland,OH
    Yes, that seemed quite high. The tracks you linked to looked good, except they're metal. The track on mine is plastic and was simply 'glued' to the roof. It looks like the metal tracks are designed to be screwed in. I'd rather not put any more holes in my ABS roof than I have to till the the delamination issue forces me to do something drastic.

10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    For the ABS roof I would really suggest getting the recommended replacement from the manufacturer. It must fit the existing channel and it must be glued on. As I said, best to clean the one you have and remount.