Axle Flip, Shocks???

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by ricksadventures, Jan 2, 2019.

1. ricksadventures

ricksadventures New Member

Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted. I am planning to move forward with doing the "axle flip" on my 2000 Starcraft Meteorite PUP. I've noticed when going boon-docking or on any rough road I really have to crawl over everything or my trailer bounces to hell and gone.

After I do the flip I plan on swapping out the hubs from 4 lug to 5 lug so I can run larger diameter tires which should help some.

My main question is whether folks think it would be worth adding shocks or not. Or if there is better spring solution for the severe bouncing.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yeah, if you can get some studs welded to the axle and the frame, sure while not? I don't do any boon docking rougher than what the road into the park is, and I do notice mine bouncing around back there as well. So it might not be a bad idea to go with shocks if you get into that bouncing situation a lot.

3. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

i had help, but completed a hub swap, from 4 bolt to 5.
    then the spring over axle conversion.
    and larger tires on 5 bolt rims.
    flipped ball on hitch.
    kept same springs.

towed so smooth i kept checking rearview to make sure it was there!

ricksadventures likes this.
  4. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

I took my trailer to my mechanic last summer to get the bearings repacked and asked for him to flip the axel as well. After inspecting it, he said it couldn't be done because of the trailer brakes. I still need to dig out the manual to see if that is true (I've had a lot going on in unrelated areas), but that is what I was told.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

. After inspecting it, he said it couldn't be done because of the trailer brakes. I still need to dig out the manual to see if that is true (I' but that is what I was told.[/QUOTE]
    Your mechanic didn't want to the job. By moving the axle from the top of the spring to the bottom, nothing changes with the brakes.

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I flipped my axle on my 1998 Bayside. The only hold up with the electric brakes is that I had to cut the power line to the brakes and resplice it. If you had hydraulic brakes, then I would say it's a no go.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The axle can be moved/mounted to the bottom of the springs. The axle and brakes need to stay in the same position as they are now. The right brake is the right brake, left is left, bow of axle always goes up. You most likely have 7 inch brakes with your 4-4 wheels. You can get a 13 inch 4-4 wheel. If you wanted to go larger you would have to change the axle and 10 inch brakes to mount a large wheel (the bearings are different). There isn't enough spring movement to warrant the use of a shock absorber .

8. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I think the trick with shocks would be fitting the right level of dampening with the sprung weight, travel distance, and spring constant in your rig. If there's a kit that has done all that, and come with mounts and all, then that would work. You'd hate to over dampen using an automotive shock.

9. ricksadventures

Do you know which hub kit you got to do your swap?

10. ricksadventures

I figured automotive shocks would be way to much, and most trailer shocks are built for significantly heavier rigs. I haven't had any issues with towing it on any paved roads or highways, but its really rough and slow going when I hit gravel.

11. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We drive a lot of rough roads. After the axel flip we could get a 13” LT tire and that really helped with the ride quality. Always some bouncing though. Always wondered if shocks would be worth it. I do air down a bit if I’m trying to cover a lot of ground. A few of our favorite spots are 25 - 40 miles one way on dirt. No brakes on it so that wasn’t an issue

ricksadventures likes this.
  12. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Newb question: is the purpose of the axle flip to raise the trailer to make it more rough/off-road capable? That's what I gathered from this thread, anyway.

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Usually more clearance for bigger tires for more axle clearance

FARfetched likes this.
  14. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

And it makes it harder to snag a stump on your step or anything else underneath. The only clearance issue that isn't addressed is the axel clearance, but that would require a whole lot of engineering.

FARfetched likes this.
  15. ricksadventures

That is my intention, I don't really camp in any paved sites. And to be honest it is a close call getting into and out of my driveway. Overall I want the trailer to be a bit more capable of getting to some fantastic remote spots in the area I live.

Overland likes this.
  16. ricksadventures

What do you mean by LT tire?

17. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

LT should mean “Light Truck”. Your planned axle swapping to a 5 lug pattern, SAS, and going to LT tires is pretty common among the boondock or overlanding crowd. I’ve seen/read about it being done complete with shock additions on other forums. Point is, it is not an outlandish idea.

Another approach would be convert to a torsion type axle.

Good luck with your mod....

18. gladecreekwy

Light truck

19. gladecreekwy

5083B835-5228-46AD-B550-9E129D8F7126.jpeg
    Exactly. My pup can go anywhere my truck can.

20. Overland

Overland Active Member

You gotta stop posting that pic.. or give me the coordinates.. your choice. ;)

BillyMc likes this.