Axle Flip, Shocks???

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by ricksadventures, Jan 2, 2019.

1. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Ha! I thought that when I posted it. It’s one of our favorite spots and it’s the best pic of it. You come to my neck of the woods and I’ll tell you exactly where it is.

Overland likes this.
  2. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

If you put LT tires on your trailer, do you try to get the same size as your TV so you have extra spares? I think Jeep guys used to do that...

3. gladecreekwy

If they were the same size. My TV is on 35”s

4. Overland

Overland Active Member

Tough to get a matching tire size when tucked under the camper vs on the outside and fendered.

I run a 31" AT on my Jeep, I managed to squeeze a 225/75 (28") under the camper but it took lifting camper a bit more than i'd have liked. Considering cutting in new fender wells come spring to bring it down a bit.

Keep in mind also, an LT tire is illegal in some states. I found that out here in Pa when I went to get a set mounted.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Tires and springs will not control bounce. Shock absorbers dissipate the energy of the bounce. Based on your description, shocks would definitely help. Try to get shocks for a small car. Shocks are tuned to the spring rate and mass of the vehicle they're for. Putting big offroad shocks on it will probably just snap off the studs. Too stiff. Maybe the rear shocks off something like a Subaru Crosstrek. Small car, decent suspension travel.

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

7. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

I'm going to try this axle flip mod. I hate that i nearly bottom out in my driveway. Scraped the my bottom of my lift crank pole on the first time out. Im a noob in theses matters and have a few questions:
    • Can I keep the original tires? im at 13" (i think)
    • Will I have to use blocks when I lower the stabilizers?
    • Will the axle flip allow me to install larger tires?
    • Are there any mechanical/engineering cons to doing this?

Thanks!

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

9. gladecreekwy

You can keep your tires but the advantage to the flip is you can run bigger ones. You may need blocks depending on the length of your stabilizers and the terrain. We needed another step stool. My advice is to run the largest tires possible. We lifted ours 15 years ago and have had no issues.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  10. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

thanks, everyone.
    I keep reading and watching videos about this mod and im seeing mentions of possible welding in some cases and different axle types.

I'll have to check under the pup today and snap some pics

11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

If you have brakes, your spring perches must be welded on the axle. Without welding them, when you apply the brakes, the axle will rotate.

12. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

I do have electric brakes. Welp, looks likes i cant do this mod without any help. i can barely glue macaroni on maps

13. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

Yea, that might be a problem best left to the experts. :tongue:

This spring, I will look more into it. I have a 2002(?) Coleman Timberlake with e-brakes. My mechanic said he couldn't do it but the reason he gave didn't sit right (said they wouldn't work upside down). Since I have the manufacturer's manuals for every piece that was used to build my trailer (including one for the axel), I'll see what they say.

14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

http://timbren.com/axle-less/

15. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

He's right. Plus you have a cambered axle, and if you simply flip you'll reduce your cargo weight and have to replace the tires every season.

Look on the Dexter website for a spring over axle conversion kit, which includes new spring perches that have to be welded to the top of the axle.

16. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

If you put a straight edge on your axle you will probably find that it isn't exactly straight. The proper way is to move the perches to the top of the axle and mount the axle under the spring. This keeps everything in it's proper orientation.

17. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Member

no need to weld if you use the Dexter kit for Spring-over-axle (SOA) kit. Though they recommend it (that's their risk manager talking)

18. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Member

I will likely try the spring over axle conversion as we do go off road on some of our trips, such as in Cedar Mesa, Escalante, North Rim of Grand Canyon etc. The conversion is reversible and affordable, so why not.

Overland likes this.
  19. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I used the dexter kit. I then we took a trip to Yellowstone. When I got back I had to rotate the axle back just a hair, to get the tires to have the right camber. Make sure you check that or you’ll have weird tire wear.

No I didn’t weld them.

20. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Member

I am thinking that the camber thing is highly over stated. For example, the VW bug had a large camber on its rear wheels and seemed to do OK. I see all kinds of independent suspension on the rear with very visible camber, including name brand cars. It' can't be such a big problem.