Axle lift?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Drvred, May 21, 2018.

1. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    Is it possible to undo an axle flip? ( I know it's not flipped)
    It looks like the PO used one of the Dexter kits to put the axle under the springs. Is that usually welded?
    It's a light trailer, and I pull it with an FWD Escape, so I won't be going off-road with it.
    I have my 2 inch drop hitch flipped, and the camper still leans forward.
    Tows great, just would like to get it down out of the air.
    This was the hitch turned normally.
    IMG_20180519_180256~2.jpg

2. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    IMG_20180521_042914.jpg

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Yes, it is a simple procedure to reverse what the PO did. Just put the axle back in the factory location. Always remember to use new U bolts

jnc and Fbird like this.
  4. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    I see this mod for a number of PUPs. Other than making the whole platform higher, is there an engineering reason for manufacturers putting axle on top of the springs on trailers?

5. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Those U bolts look to be in great shape and pretty new. They also look to be of larger diameter than stock. You should have no fear about reusing them. I am confused by what appears to be a bolt under the spring, can you show a better picture of it?

6. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    I believe, from looking at E trailer, there are supposed to be sleeve nuts on the bolt to prevent the new perch from rotating.

7. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    u bolts will contour to the axle and plate. if reused are much more likely to fail. much safer to replace them. you will have to reverse the center bolt on the leaf spring so the round head is on top, that's what keeps the axle from moving on the spring, you will see a hole in the spring perch for it.

jnc likes this.
  8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    U bolts will stretch when torqued. Do you want to stretch them again, and take a chance of them breaking?

9. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    I just have to find the right u bolts.
    Called Dexter yesterday, they weren't very helpful

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Try Tractor Supply

11. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    Gotta measure the axle. Was going to do it yesterday, but had a terrific line of thunderstorms come through all evening

12. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Every bolt stretches when torqued what you don't want to do with any bolt is stretch it beyond its yield point. That spring plate will bend long before the U bolt is stretched to a critical point. Are you guys so scared of reusing U bolts mechanics or engineers or otherwise formally educated in metallurgy? Do you replace every bolt you put a wrench on? I have been reusing U bolts for decades without a failure. OP should do some research on his own regarding the stress on U bolts on a 2000lb trailer with the diameter of bolt being used. He should also do some research on U bolt failures. That U bolt looks pretty beefy to me, OP what diameter is it? It looks around 7/16 to me. What is the yield strength of that diameter bolt? Internet group think and hype takes on a life of its own.
    For anyone else considering flipping the springs on an axle, please get the perches welded on by someone who knows what they are doing. That system of bolts and sleeve nuts is 1000x more dangerous and imprudent than reusing a U bolt.

13. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    It appears the the spring perch for the lift kit is taller than the original perch.
    I am not scared of reusing u bolts, but I don't think that there is enough thread on the bolts with the shorter perch.
    That's why I want the correct bolt before I start, so I won't be stuck with the camper up in the air, while I am trying to find u bolts.

14. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    California
    Those u-bolts look to have the same amount of corrosion as the axle. I'll bet they are the original ones. If so, you should have enough thread when setting the axle back on it's original pads. I would add lock washers or add flat washers and locking nuts.

Adam

15. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area