AZ - Trailer Village - Grand Canyon NP (South Rim)

Discussion in 'National Parks, Forests and ACOE Campgrounds' started by kitphantom, Nov 15, 2011.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We usually stay in Mather when we visit South Rim, but chose Trailer Village for last week's trip so we could have electricity. We will eventually have a solar panel to recharge the battery, but wanted to be sure I would have power for the furnace for the entire time - good thing too, as the temps were in the 30s for highs, and down to 15 one night. Knowing that we would have power, we also took a space heater and toaster oven (that was an experiment).

This would not be a campground we would usually choose. In busy season it must be hideous - the parking is \ \ \ \ on the loops and the only way to determine which picnic table was for our site was by where the curbing between sites was. However, for this trip I was very happy to be in Trailer Village. I could easily walk to the shuttle stop when I wished, and leave the TV at camp; I did that maybe half the time.
    The restrooms were fine, and they had the heat on so the cold was not an issue there. The showers and laundry are in the general camper services building, a bit closer to Mather, but really not that far away.

Conclusion: We'll stay in Mather CG unless likely to have the weather we encountered last week again (this was the fourth time I've been there the same week in Nov. and the storm dropped the temps a good 20-30 all around).

Here's our site:
    [​IMG]
    Snowy camp, Grand Canyon Nov 2011 by kitphantom, on Flickr

The bbq (& picnic table) are on the left, our power column to the right.

Here is a pic from the other side:
    [​IMG]
    Sunshine at last, Grand Canyon Nov 2011 by kitphantom, on Flickr

2. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Cool pics! Would be fun to visit the GC in the winter.

Aren't you supposed to put the PUGs on silver side down for keeping warm in?

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The PUGs site and some other discussions now state there is no need to flip sides. With the SHW version, the channels for the cords are on the silver side, so turning them over would not work quite a well, since the cords would be pulling from the underside of the Gizmo. Just having them to create air space does wonders for heat retention when heating the pup.