Back from The Darkside

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GreyFox, Oct 12, 2018 at 12:23 PM.

1. GreyFox

GreyFox New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    20 yr RV veterans here [CAN] [AU_NSW] , made the usual progression from popups to a hybrid to travel trailers, camped a LOT, traveled far and wide many 10s of thousands of miles, mostly in the [usa] . However, now that our boys are adults and have their own lives camping for my wife & I is more infrequent, more local, but we'd still like to get out a few times each season, particularly when friends are also camping. We're now traveling more internationally so our travel trailer was increasingly being used less & less but still taking up a significant portion of the driveway yet continuing to depreciate month by month so we decided it was time to sell and return to our roots - popup camping, with many of the conveniences of The Darkside but a quantum leap up from tent camping. [A] We're looking forward to the simplicity - no waste tanks, a much simpler hitching process, far better fuel mileage when towing, much easier leveling, far less "stuff" to drag along with us, far less capital investment, no need to insure, cheaper winter storage, the list goes on. Now the mystery is why we waited so long! :confused:

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Welcome back.

Sometimes you just had to go to seemingly greener pasture and found that you already have greenest pasture.

Welcome back!

3. GreyFox

GreyFox New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Yeah, I understand where you're coming from but not sure I'd quite agree this is just about seeking the "greener pasture". :wink: Our previous popup days were great but so too were our travel trailer days, we just didn't care for our hybrid which for us represented the worst of both worlds. [XX(] All different forms of RVs serve a purpose, it's just that we ourselves reached the point where we weren't getting enough use out of our travel trailer to justify the continued expense & complications of owning / maintaining one. Truthfully, I suspect there are more of us out there than realize it or at least are willing to admit - full immersion in the RV world is really costly so if you want to make those costs more commensurate with your use a popup is the only other real choice if you're not prepared to go all the way back to tent camping. We've done that as well but it does take a lot more effort than I'm prepared to invest for a simple weekend of camping with friends - a popup solves all that. With our years of experience now behind us I'm confident it won't take us any longer to set up / tear down than it has in the past with our travel trailers. Looking forward to it! [A]

neighbormike likes this.
  4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the forum from Midway USA. [:)C]

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome back from the mountains of West Virginia

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Welcome back

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome back to the Portal from South Carolina.

8. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Canton, Georgia
    Hey, Welcome Back to the light side.

My wife and I went from tent camping, to pop up camping, to 33 foot motor home camping, to 40 Foot Diesel Pusher Glamping, now We are back to a Fleetwood E2. Everything we wanted, in a small enough package, to tow at 18 mpg !!

The 40 foot pusher was nice, but I got tired of "it's too long" for the State Parks we like going to, or reserving a spot 11 months in advance, only to request a refund because we can't make it "that week"...

I also got Very Tired of the 7mpg that the 'pusher' got, and the freaking Constant Maintenance of the 40 foot brick, it is worse than a Boat.

A Pop-Up is the Way to Go Man... Trust Me, I have seen it all...[8D]

9. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Welcome back from Oklahoma.

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I think if people who have never experienced pups realized this, they were be more represented on dealer lots. Folks who don't better, really think they are a tent on wheels. Not even close.

Anyway, welcome back!

11. GreyFox

GreyFox New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Good friend of mine is a dealer and claims popups aren't on more dealers' lots not because of lack of customer interest but simply because there's just not enough profit on each sale. His salespeople aren't too happy about it as they view popups as a loss leader, with those buying one coming back within a couple of years to buy a travel trailer which is far more profitable for the dealership AND the salesperson. He's the owner though so he's dedicated his lot to hybrids and travel trailers.

Thanks! Can't wait 'til spring to get back into it! [A]

Orchid likes this.
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I figured this was the #1 reason they are under represented.

13. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Welcome back. I have not camped for long but i think post kids we will end up with a 17 FT toy hauler with a bed and bath with the rear opening fully. easy to load kayak, motorcycle , bicycles etc and fitting in any campsite. I like the new off road ones with axle flipped and off road tires. Put a patio setup and we will have a patio attached too. I hate packing and unpacking even in a TT . I think a small toy hauler will the wide door and racks for storage will work.

14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    There are also a lot of people who never tent camped or never liked it. They are more likely to want hard walls and minimal setup. And there are a lot of folks who don't camp, but rather travel. So, a TT is more conducive to that than a pup.

TTs are really the bridging RV. So it makes sense they are the most represented at the dealers.

15. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA!