Back to the (canvas) drawing board

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Bluedogz, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Bluedogz

Bluedogz Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Got some of my canvas off the NTM '68 Puma, and brought it to a sail shop in the hope of salvaging it.

Fella there says it's "dry rotted" and he won't touch it.

See the photos- I'd LIKE to not drop $1k on all new canvas. (CAPS means I know this may not be reality.)

Anyone with experience want to chime in?

Attached Files:

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have had a few canvas tents and when they start looking like that its the beginning of the end. Yes you may find someone willing to put a patch on it Than somewhere else is going to need a patch and so on. Will the Sail Shop make you a new one cheaper than online?

3. Bluedogz

Bluedogz Member

Nov 13, 2017
    The sail shop showed me the door pretty fast. Really, they're an upholstery shop that has one old man who still does sails. We live in Lancaster, PA so the yacht-club population is pretty thin.

4. baron1701

baron1701 New Member

May 7, 2018
    Would you be able to buy Canvas by the yard and go over the existing canvas?

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The problem is that, if the original canvas is dry rotted, it will not have enough integrity to support patches or new seams. The original canvas on our first pup was Evolution, not cotton, but it did something similar to dry rotting. Patches worked until the day I could put my finger through the fabric.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I managed to glue on some patches to buy me time. Otherwise my canvas would have disinigrated under any kind of pressure or needle. Although it does not not look like glue patches would work on the big stip

7. rich2

rich2 Active Member

May 3, 2007
    Northampton, PA
    Just took the plunge and replaced the canvas on my '65 Cox Campsquire, it was 1000 bucks but I feel well spent, the camper looks great now and no leaks.

Orchid likes this.
  8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Do you have some photos? I would love to see it.

9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

X2^^

10. rich2

rich2 Active Member

May 3, 2007
    Northampton, PA
    Almost finished... 5BE8508A-B19D-4F87-9BC9-4792B4EDE87B.jpeg

jnc, DJS12354, Orchid and 1 other person like this.
  11. NiteRider

NiteRider New Member

May 3, 2018
    Ohio
    Have you tried the Amish? There was one here in ohio that had an upholstery shop that made some custom boat seats for my grandpa. Might be worth looking into.