Bad day for towing!

Discussion in 'RV Industry & Camping Related News' started by silvermickey2002, Mar 15, 2018.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
  2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I hate it when that happens! On a lighter side it dont look to bad Hopefully they did not make it worse while trying to put it back on the road.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I would say that wouldn't add anything positive to my day.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I'm guessing that it is a bad time to use the back bathroom?

J Starsky likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I can't imagine the feeling that driver was going through. It's a good thing the weight was not on the back end of that camper or he/she would have been having the worst day ever. Like mentioned the camper looks to be in pretty good shape as long as the tow operator knows how to do his job without causing further damage.

6. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Am I the only one that wants a refund? They show you a perilous result, and then don't bother to film the recovery! I'd really like to watch the recovery; the best way to do it is with a lift of some sort, but that's not at all cheap. jnc, I'll bet they only muscled it back over, which would have put a tremendous strain on the front axle and then a major SNAFU if both axles dropped on either side of the concrete barrier. Then, it would have dragged the entire length of the rear frame rails until it dropped off the barrier and back onto the axles. I'm betting the rear stabilizers are toast at the least! Man, I want a refund...

jnc likes this.
  7. myride

myride Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Good thing he pack for "tongue weight"!

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    And this is why you don't use your Stabilizers to Level your camper! Just saying.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I would hate this to happen to me..Hopefully they get it back over without more damages to the unit

10. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    That appears to be a current model Ford Explorer. I am not up on TTs, but looks to me that maybe the wheelbase was a bit lacking for that big of a trailer.

11. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    One of the articles I read earlier indicated another vehicle lost control and spun out, striking the side of the trailer and knocking it over the wall. You can see the impact point on the side of the trailer in the picture.

12. petefuller

petefuller New Member

Aug 27, 2017
    They'll likely call in a large tow truck with a rotating boom and use slings to put it back on the roadway. Drivers insurance may be on the hook for any damages to that concrete barrier and engineers don't work cheap.
    I'd stand back from the latch on the trailer ball.

13. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Well, here ya go, folks; the recovery video! Skip to about 1:30 for the actual recovery ...

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/local-news/camper-hanging-over-edge-of-interstate-275-overpass

Not a bad job. The only additional issue(s) might be some damage on the upper corners of the rear roof from the side load of the cable, but for the price, I think that's probably to be expected. Someone commented on the news article that the recovery probably cost more than the TT, but I think they're missing the big point. What else would you do, push it over the edge and clean up the mess down below? What really surprised me was that they didn't stop traffic on the lane below during the recovery. What if the whole enchilada had turned loose and plunged down onto the top of some poor unsuspecting smartcar? GULP!!!

jnc likes this.
  14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I can't believe they did not stop traffic below either!!

15. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I'm sure the camper is totaled anyway. Frame looks bent to me, plus the other damages from the impact.... just saying...

16. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    It looked like it was directly over that median between the two main lanes. I am guessing if it did drop it would not affect any travel lanes.

17. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I believe everyone involved has already used the bathroom. Hope the TV has leather seats...

18. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Springfield Kentucky
    The main thing no one was hurt or killed The TT and tv came be fix or replaced.