Baking a birthday cake boondocking!!

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Haybale, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    I will be attempting to bake my son 2 brownies for his birthday next week while camping!!

Patrick chose brownies, which would probably be the easiest to make. I will substitute the eggs with apple sauce and grabbed 2 pie tins. Should be sufficient!!

Anyone else bake a cake (no DO) while camping??

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    That's the one thing I really miss in my FnR. My clipper has an oven and I've made cookies, cake,etc., while camping. Can't be beat!

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    It would be a breeze in a Coleman oven.

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
  5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Plenty of Dutch oven recipes available. I've done apple crisp, apple pie, and cheesecakes.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds delicious. I've made a cake in the DO before camping and it was a big hit with my little side kick. I don't have an oven in the camper so the DO is my only oven I have.

7. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Did lots of dutch oven baking over the years, but since it just the wife & myself nowadays, I use a Coleman oven most of the time. fits on my camp stove or on the pups stovetop. Baked up a batch of dinner rolls in it last trip, they turned out well enough that the wife has requested them again for the next camp...lol

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We used an Outback oven for years, which is basically a skillet, riser, and Nomex jacket, sits on the camp stove. We'd bake a giant muffin, cornbread, or whatever; the 6-muffin size mixes fit perfectly.
    We have the Coleman oven, but so far, I've only use it to reheat cornbread and keep tortilla warm when we did group trips. I want to learn to bake in it, I already bought a thermometer to keep tabs on the temp, I know the thermometer in the door is not accurate.

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    So, for those with the Coleman, how does it handle cookies?

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    A pie iron might be fun.

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    I'd forgot about those. Pie irons are good. I'd have a line on Scouting trips, until I ran out of filling. I'll have to try it with the grandson. I hope it is still hanging in the shed.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I just bought one to use when we go camping with my daughter, the newer ones feel a bit flimsy , but should work.

13. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Say yes to Pie Iron's!! They are a blast and can keep the kids entertained for awhile.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The DW tried to make a Lava cake in the dutch oven that turned out to be the best Brownies ever.

WrkrBee and Sjm9911 like this.