BAL Leveler weight limit

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Dread_Pirate_Bailey, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a BAL leveler that I use for my pop up, and I love it! It makes it so easy to level by myself, and adds stability. Lily is very lightweight, so I don't worry about the BAL being overloaded.

I bought a vintage camper, and I wonder if the BAL would work for it. The "new" camper only weighs about 3400 pounds fully loaded, which would put 1700 pounds on the BAL.

Do you think this is too much weight for the BAL?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    If you subtract the weight that rests on the tongue jack wheel/foot from your 3400 lbs and then divide by 2, you'll have the weight that the BAL leveler has on it.. From what I recall seeing is the BAL is good for up to around 1600 lbs or so..

3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    We used it for our 3800 lb gvwr highwall camper - it worked but it was too much weight to use our drill to lift, so we had to use the ratchet it came with. It was probably at the limit for the BAL leveler. Gave us a bit of a workout to use it.

4. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    The official answer from Norco is 1750 lbs, but I use it with my @4K Niagara without any problems.

5. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Me too.

6. TrailManorMan

TrailManorMan New Member

May 17, 2017
    NE Ohio
    I used one on a highwall, worked ok, but struggled with my drill, 1750 sounds about right, biggest issue I had was tire size

7. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks! Sounds like it will work for me!

8. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    You can increase the width a bit using a hydraulic floor jack.

9. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    I use it on my Bayside also, around 3500lbs, no trouble. (I can't use the drill either once the weight starts to come on to the BAL)
    "You can increase the width a bit using a hydraulic floor jack." I had to do that with mine when I got the bigger camper. It didn't take much to increase the size and the BAL still works well.
    Good luck!

10. RetAF

RetAF Member

Apr 22, 2010
    On a side note ... if I have to do much cranking on the leveler I use an 18 inch ratchet. I get a whole lot more leverage with it vs the ratchet that comes with it and makes raising the PUP a LOT easier.

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I had one that worked fine on our PUP, after stretching the unit with a floor jack, but when we went dark it was working hard and was also hard to crank up, I gave it away and tried a plastic set one which cracked on the first use, I went back to the old standby of 2X8 boards and this works fine, is easy to use and has never failed me. Good luck and Happy Camping

MaeKay likes this.
  12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Nineoaks .. sounds like you need some Lynx Levelers..

kitphantom likes this.
  13. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have a set of Lynx Levelers and to much trouble for me, I keep them in the unit just in case. to be honest it is faster and easier to use my old 2X8 leveler board, (only need on one side, to bring low side up) Thanks for the thought..Good Luck and Happy Camping

14. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Double post sorry
    I have a set, but the boards are faster and easier for me anyway.