BAL Leveler

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by chrispt, Apr 17, 2019.

1. chrispt

chrispt Member

What is the maximum trailer weight that the BAL leveler can support? I don't seem to be able to find the spec online.

2. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

Leveler jacks aren’t meant to hold up the camper, just help stabilize it, you should level your camper before using the levelers

oops, my bad, was thinking regular leveller jacks

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Read somewhere it was about 1500 lbs.. which seems about right.. used one for our 3600 lb GVWR pup..

That is what a BAL leveler does..

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  4. chrispt

chrispt Member

So we are buying a 3100 lb trailer and wanted to make sure it would work. I guess the weight would be total divided by 2 since it's on one side?

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The OP is asking about the BAL Leveler, not the trailer's stabilizer jacks. To the OP - yes, the BAL Leveler will work just fine with your camper. Just make sure you keep the drive screw well greased or you'll be replacing it. A length of foam pipe wrap will keep the grease where it belongs and not on your clothes. ;)

[​IMG]

6. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Fred1diver said:
    "Leveler jacks aren’t meant to hold up the camper, just help stabilize it, you should level your camper before using the levelers"

Levelers are not to hold up the camper, but BAL levelers are specifically made to hold up one wheel of the camper. Then the stabilizer jacks stabilize in that level place.

Weight-wise, some of the weight will also be on the tongue jack as well, which you use to level the trailer front to back. I love my BAL, but others dont. If you get it, make sure to grease the screw before use.

7. Jonson01

Jonson01 Member

I love mine as well! What is the reason some do not? And glad I found the tips about greasing it. What grease do you use?

8. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

I don't know why some don't like it. I've seen some people may have gotten inferior steel screws where the threads failed. Mine continues to function perfectly, and I've camped in some really unlevel spots where it had to bed cranked up all the way. I cane dial in the level perfectly and reliable, unlike using blocks where you can get in-between sizes. To each his or her own.

I use what's left of an old can of 30+ year old red wheel bearing grease. I think even vaseline would do in a pinch.

eganfo and Jonson01 like this.
  9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

My trailer look just like yours, right down to the pink trim. I think I have the sister model. Same weight. Love the BAL leveler. (I don't love the wrench it came with but haven't hated it enough to bother replacing yet.)

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

When level the weight is equally sitting on points (both tires and the tongue jack).. so divided by 3 ..

11. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Works with my nearly 4,000lb Niagara...

12. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I used a BAL Leveler for 3 years (15 different camp sites). I have since replaced it.
    Advantages:
    You can dial it in precisely
    It holds the tire tightly and keeps the camper from rolling
    Disadvantages
    It sometimes strips out (it happened to me and I got a replacement and a spare after that)
    It is slow to go up and down (lowering my camper in the rain caused me to try something else)
    It is a little bulky

I replaced it with Lynx levelers with Lynx chocks that lock into the levelers.
    It is easy to get within half a bubble of level and that seems to be fine.
    It is quick - put the levelers out and back the camper (or go forward) on them. Use the chock to stop. Put another chock on the other side of the tire.
    I use a heavy duty chock on the non Lynx level side.
    Much faster now.
    Just my 2 cents.

BelchFire and Jonson01 like this.
  13. GreyFox

Same here - used a BAL Leveler with our Santa Fe but did have to replace the drive screw, probably my fault for not keeping it as well greased as I should have. [B)] Later started using Lynx Levelers and adjustable BAL Single Chocks to firmly secure both the low side tire sitting atop the Lynx and the high side tire sitting on the ground. Worked fine. [A]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jonson01 likes this.
  14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I have to use Lynx blocks with my other rig and in comparison, it's so nice to be able to level my trailer wherever it happens to be parked. :)

When it breaks, I'll get another one.

Jonson01 likes this.
  15. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

The weight on the axle is no where near the same as the tongue.

ODBadger likes this.
  16. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

My leveler progression went wood > lynx blocks > BAL and now Andersens due to the tandem axle TT. I also have a LevelmatePro that I'l be installing soon. THAT will be a game changer. ;)

I'm curious, about the slow comment. I thought the best thing about the BAL was how fast it was. Just park the camper with little concern about leveling. Toss the BAL under the low tire. Slap the cordless drill on it and it zooms right up. What am I missing? I wish I could level my TT as fas I could level a pup with the BAL.

My biggest dislike of the BAL was how heavy and bulky it was. Just really curious how it was slow...?

Jonson01 likes this.
  17. GreyFox

Not everyone uses a drill with their BAL Leveler but the supplied wrench which is a pretty slow way to do it.

18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Never used a drill and never found the wrench to be slow.. maybe because I use them daily. .

19. GreyFox

I did use a drill with mine and can tell you using the wrench is much slower.

[​IMG]

20. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I don’t use a drill either—although I’ve been tempted! I did find the supplied wrench rather flimsy and inefficient, so I use a long-handled socket wrench from one of my sets. I do intend to buy one designated to my BAL Leveller at some point.