BAL Storage & Carry Mod (Completed)

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Dubbya, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Thanks. I'll post and PM you. Might as well make the dimensions available for anyone else who might want them.

2. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Jun 24, 2008
    I think the jack screw on the BAL is Acme thread. It's a different thread design intended to move a heavy load and normal all-thread may not work.

Just my [2C],
    JR

3. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Yeah, it's acme thread and it's supposed to be stronger than SAE thread but, considering that the drive screw and trunnion are made of pretty poor quality steel, I think they chose ACME thread more for its' ability to raise jacks quickly.

4. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Jun 24, 2008
    BAL chose Acme because it is a trapezoidal thread-form designed specifically to transfer motion, not because of the thread pitch. Acme's steep thread pitch is an artifact of the design.

Std SAE thread-forms are intended to be used for fastening, not motion transfer.

As for the poor quality of their steel, I don't know what grade they chose. What grade is it?

Just my opinion,
    JR

5. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    It's zinc coated mild steel but the threads are very poorly cut. It's such a simple design and should work well but the parts used just don't wear well without a lot of grease.

I've got scissor jacks and a bench vise with acme thread. Both are several years old well used and both still work and look like new. Neither require more than the slightest bit of oil.

6. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I am confident the 3/4 all thread I have will do just fine.

7. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Jun 24, 2008
    I must have an old one because mine is missing the zinc coating, wonder if they've change over the years. I keep a coating of Molydbenum disulfide on mine too.

JR

8. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Sorry for the delay, backwoodzbum but here's a PDF drawing with most of the pertinent measurements. This should be good enough to get you well on your way. Just choose "Slow Download" to snag it. It'll only take a couple of seconds anyway.
    BAL-28050-Measurements.pdf (446Kb)

While searching for an image that might already have measurements in it, I was able to track down the original patent drawings for the BAL Tire Leveler. Here's a photo from the PDF that explains their much simpler initial concept. Interesting that they'd originally used a bottle jack to raise it.
    [​IMG]

If you're at all interested in fabricating something like this, here's the Patent PDF with several other images and related information. Just don't try to sell them! [;)]

Download: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US20060255563.pdf (444Kb)

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    What like the guy on Kijiji who is selling his home made BAL leveler ... Not sure if he is selling just one, or if he is selling more then one, but last I checked the listing was from July...

10. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Re: BAL Storage & Carry Mod (Completed)

I'll have to take a look at that, Snow! [LOL]

1996 Viking 2060ST / 1997 F150

11. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Jun 24, 2008
    What a conicidence...

I recently bought a bimini top for our Ski Boat and to keep the support poles from damaging each other during transit, the company clipped them together with clips like "Dubbya" made. They fit the BAL perfectly!!!

I'd rather be lucky than good.

[​IMG]

JR

12. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Re: BAL Storage & Carry Mod (Completed)

Dude! See if you can get a part number for that!

I'd rather have a molded part than one that's glued together.

1996 Viking 2060ST / 1997 F150

13. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    That is just awesome!!

14. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

Jun 8, 2008
    I am following this thread in case someone finds a number for that clip.

15. kpic

kpic New Member

Jul 7, 2013
  16. tgore76

tgore76 Member

Sep 5, 2011
    How well does that bag fit the leveler?

17. wapwap

wapwap New Member

Aug 15, 2011
    It's a little big, but does really well. Let me go get a couple of pics of it and show you. Hang on a bit...

18. wapwap

wapwap New Member

Aug 15, 2011
    And we now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

From the outside. I love the padded shoulder strap if I have to move it around for any reason!
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the "legs" sticking out of the bag just a little.
    [​IMG]

In the front pockets: on the left is differently sized water pipe insulation to function as shin protectors on the top end of the screw and screw protectors below once the camper is level, and on the right is the screw and trunion and wrench for storage.
    [​IMG]

And that's what it looks like in the big pocket....
    [​IMG]

19. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Nice! That's perfect! Thanks for sharing!

20. tex02

tex02 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 2005 TrailManor 3023

Sep 4, 2012
    Be careful when ordering this bag from Fleet Farm, it seems they are shipping out a different sized bag than the one pictued on their site and the one one pictured in this thread, it seems to be much smaller now and the BAL won't fit, I will call them tomorrow to see what they say.

[​IMG]
    Tex