BAL Storage & Carry Mod (Completed)

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Dubbya, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Aug 5, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    wapwap I took your advice found the large one in store locally. Fits the BAL perfectly we have a "suitcase" tool kit [mine] which also fits in the outer pocket and contains sockets and wrench. I love the idea of the pipe insulation for the trunnion!! Off to Fleet Farm tomorrow [;)] [;)]

2. wapwap

wapwap New Member

Aug 15, 2011
    tex02 - that's odd that they're shipping something so different from what they are advertising. Hopefully you can get it all straigtened out easily.

rynderz - make sure you get pipe insulation that has a wide enough interior diameter. We started out with some that was a bit small and there was dirt and leaves that would get into the threads. I don't remember what the size was or I'd post it for you.

3. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Aug 5, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Audrey, thanks for pointing that out. Will be certain to buy large[est] diameter. Do you think it helps hold the grease? Do you reapply after every trip? Curious.....

4. wapwap

wapwap New Member

Aug 15, 2011
    It definitely helps contain the grease! Once we got it, we only used it twice! Every other site has been perfectly level! How does that happen?!?! We greased it well when we first got it. And just did it again as part of our winterizing since we don't anticipate any more camping for this year. Next year... not sure.

5. tgore76

tgore76 Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Thank you very much. I might buy one of those.

6. tgore76

tgore76 Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Tex,
    I can't see your posted photo....so excuse the question if that would have answered it...but did you receive the wrong size bag? How do you know they are shipping something different? Would appreicate if you let us know how your phone call panned out...and what exactly to ask for or confirm if we order one from them. Thanks.

Tgore76

7. tex02

tex02 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 2005 TrailManor 3023

Sep 4, 2012
    It looks like they are shipping a 15 x 20 inch bag, I totally missed that in the description, the bag on their website looks different than the bag I recieved and the BAL won't fit in it. I didn't have a chance to call, I ended up giving the bag to my DD, she is using it for school. I ended up ordering a 20x 20 pizza delivery bag.

Tex

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Just a quick update.

I've set the included ratchet wrench back in my toolbox in favor of a Mastercraft 20V Max Lithium-Ion High Torque (300 ft lbs) Impact Wrench from Canadian Tire. Slide in the battery, slip on a 3/4" deep socket and Zip! Done.

[​IMG]

At $260, it's pricey and seldom seems to go on sale (the lower torque wrench does) but this one works slicker n' chicken snot.

9. Phranc

Phranc New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    300 ft/lbs is going to be a little on the weak side. Normally it takes a minimum of 400 ft/lbs. Also, an impact is a poor choice. The BAL and the roof will work much better if you don't use an impact or hammer drill. I don't think the threads on you BAL are going to last too long.

10. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    400 foot pounds? What are you lifting, a house? [LOL] [LOL]

I responded to a similar post elsewhere and I appreciate your having reservations but the fact is, 300 ft lbs is MORE than enough to operate the BAL, I've already used it several times and the threads are in perfect shape.

Whether you use the included ratchet wrench, a ratchet and socket, a drill or an impact gun, the key is to use high pressure grease and plenty of it. End of story.

Say what you will, as long as Norco Industries is willing to replace drive screws absolutely free of charge (including shipping) without asking questions and without requiring receipts, I'll continue to use my impact wrench, won't lose a minute of sleep and won't break a sweat either.

11. Phranc

Phranc New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Actually, it's 400 inch/lbs is what it required for raising the roof. Not ft/lbs.

12. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Sounds about right to me.

400 in/lbs = 33.3 ft/lbs [;)]

13. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Regarding carrying bags, I saw the Costco thermal bag (it has their logo) today at the store for $5.99, and it looked bid enough to fit the BAL. When I go back, I'll take measurements.

14. phoodieman

phoodieman Member

May 18, 2009
    Hutto, Texas
    I bought this BAL from a former pop upper. He had a good set up. There is a foam tube that covers the greasy threads. Easily carries in one hand and holds a dedicated socket wrench that I use to raise and lower. (The wrench is not in this pic). Stacks well in storage too. Bungie chain combo holds it all in place.

[​IMG]

Phoodieman

15. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
  16. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Here's a shot with the door pull attached. I drilled 3/16" holes between the pipes and used the screws that came with the door pull. I also made a strap to secure the jack screw tube using 1-1/2" webbing and side-release buckles.

[​IMG]

17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Here s mine, I put two velcro straps on top so it stays in the box while trveling
    Box construction : 1/4" plywood front, rear, and inside bottom , glued and stapled with air stapler,
    sides 2X6 ripped to 4" and
    bottom 1X 1 1/2" 2 pieces held by screws and glue to side pieces , then piece of plywood on top of these glued and screwed
    top board ( for stability at top) 1X 4" on 1 side and 1X2 on other side glued and stapled to plywood, also screwed to side

outside dimensions of box 4 1/2 " sides (4" inside )
    24 1/4" wide
    20 1.8 High ( inside 18 1/4" high)

Attached Files: