1. Jason Diggn Va

Jason Diggn Va New Member

We have a 98 Redwood that's NTU. It did not come with a battery. We'll mainly be doing 2 night 3 day camps boondocking. Since our first trip is planned for the 17th ( couple weeks away). Would a single 12v deep carry us for the weekend. Or would 2-6v be better? Mainly just for lighting and recharging phones and radio. The PUP does have AC, so possibly running the fan this summer. Thanks for any info. Jason

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The battery will not power the ac , or the outlets. Its 12 volt only. So lights , water pump, fans if you have the type that plug into the lights. Not sure how your rockwood is set up. Best to check the owners manual to see if it has usbs , for the phones.

Jason Diggn Va and kitphantom like this.
  3. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

No

Jason Diggn Va likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I would first suggest to change your lights to led. That will save you a lot of power. A group 24 12v deep cycle should easily make a long weekend trip if you conserve. If you have a furnace keep it down very low, 50 maybe 55 . The more the furnace turns on the more power it uses. I have led lights, a 12v water pump and the furnace and managed to make three nights four days. Furnace was turned on only at bed and kept at 53 and it was 32 at night. so not too bad considering. Only used the water pump once a day, and lights I turned on only when I really needed them.
    I charge my phone in my car or with a separate battery pack I bought. I occasionally use a cool breeze fan that can also use D size batteries. As I don't have the bunk end light and fan combo.

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Would 2X 6V batteries be better? Yes, of course they would if you're talking golf cart batteries. But, you may not need to go that far. You likely could get a whole weekend out of a group 24 deep cycle combi battery (Marine/RV). Don't forget, your tow vehicle is also a portable battery charger. Just connect jumper cables from your tow vehicle to the PUP battery and let the vehicle idle for 20 min a day... you'll move a lot of amps in a hurry that way and freshen up the battery.

All the other suggested actions are good too.. get some LEDs from Amazon and forget about running anything that plugs into a regular outlet. I did several weekends on a single group 24 until I moved up to a 27, easy.

Best of luck!

Jason Diggn Va, jmkay1 and Dan Wilson like this.
  6. SongCamper

SongCamper Active Member

Everybody pretty much covered what I'd advise.

My battery runs the ceiling vent fan, water pump, LED lights and porch lights easily for a long weekend. Plus, worst case scenario you can fire up your tow vehicle and charge it back up.

Have fun!

7. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

You should not have a problem. If you want to go longer, I would suggest a good deep cycle group 31. They don't cost much more and will give you more power. I can go 10 days with the types of usages you are talking about. I have LEDs and charging and to be honest, there are not any significant power draws if you don't use the furnace.

8. Jason Diggn Va

Thanks everyone, looks like I need to study up on deep cell Grouping. Right now, we have no plans on running the furnace. The night time temps here are not to bad, fingers crossed. I'll definitely be changing over to LED. Sounds like I'll give a Group 24 a try and try not to forget the jumper cables. Thanks again Jason

9. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

I have been debating this very question as my batteries are getting tired. I have 2 group 24 batteries, and when I get home I have to hook up the jumper cables to get enough juice to raise the roof. Of course that does take a lot of power.

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Almost all of our camping is off-grid and we have three 12V Batteries across the popup trailer tongue area. They did us well from 2008 to around 2014 then the Interstate 85AH batteries started not hold a charge for very long....

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

We have been staying at home here for other reasons and I am just not getting back into the camping mode again...

Got a real good price on 4EA 6V GC2 GOLF CART Duracell batteries Model SLIGC110 215AH Batteries from BATTERIES PLUS BULBS store here locally. They took my depleted GP24 12V Interstate Batteries for core fee exchange... I paid $85.00 each for the Duracell 6v Gold Cart batteries... I didn't have to join any club like COSTCO hehe...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

I will be mounting these two groups of two 6V batteries in SERIES in a 59-inch TORKLIFT Diamond Plate Box with slide off lid (A7708Rs) which will fit just fine in-side the two welded on battery tray angle strips on my trailer tongue area shown above... All of my wiring and Blue Sea switch gear, meters, fuses, and terminal blocks is all available from AMAZON...

This will give a big 430AH Battery bank...

[​IMG]
    Google image

I will be adding a second 10WATT Solar panel on the opposite end of the slide off top to trickle charge both 6V battery groups when sitting in high sun...

[ADDED NOTE: I was just reading the part numbers from the TORKLIFT site and they were discussing the 10WATT SOLAR PANEL add-on. Says that if you are using 2 batteries or more you will not need to use a regulator to avoid overcharging the batteries. This was being discussed here a few days ago... I still will be checking my battery fluids on a regular basis out of habit however...]

I should be in camping again this upcoming season...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  11. Jason Diggn Va

Thanks Roy, I totally forgot about Batteries Plus. Nice set-up and thanks for all the model # and info. Much appreciated, Jason

12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Jason - I see you are from Northern Virginia... I do almost all of my off-grid camping up behind Harrisonburg VA inside the Natl Park along the Virginia/West Virginia wooded state line... Near a spot called FLAGPOLE RIDGE... I like to go solo up that way and play with my Ham Radio and things... No body knows I'm there until they hear the squeaks and squawks from my Ham Radio haha... The forest service roads however are starting to get more crowded these days it seems. Used to never see anyone up that way... I sometime think people are living up there at times now... A couple of years ago I even had what looked like a homeless person come up and ask for food. The only other times I see this is in the Walmart parking lot in King George waiting for the wife to get done shopping haha... I also go to LOFT MTN a lot up on Skyline Drive and there is also a place called Sherando Lake just off of the Blue Ridge Parkway that is really setup for tent camping. Has several tent camping spots with large rocks surrounding it... I also call Westmoreland State Park my home camp ground... I always setup in the B-Section there. Really nice folks there that run the place... This is where I go to check out new to me things since there is a LOWES and WALMART not too far away from the camp ground haha...

This is a photo from Sherando Lakes just south of the I64 pass over the mountain...
    [​IMG]
    Sherando Lake Camping Spot online image

I will back my off-road popup trailer in the parking place as far back as I can so I can park my truck there and go setup my three room tent up the rock steps hehe... This gives both worlds of camping hehe

I'm about half way excited to be getting back into camping mode again... The B-section at Westmoreland has several no hookups sites on the West side at the edge of the B-Section... Turns into heavy woods from there down to a large water hole. Great place to check out my new battery bank haha... One spot there has a large tree limb that is about five off the ground and grows horizontal for about five feet or so... Great for sitting on watching the squirrels play... It is also inside my 100 feet WIFI range of my trailer electronics too...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  13. Jason Diggn Va

Hello Roy, yes we live in Prince William Co. Never heard of Sharando but looks like a beauty spot. I've been going to GW Nat. Forrest near Lurey for over 20 yrs now. First tenting as a teen then with my first pup. We also go to The Cove CG near Winchester. Beautiful private property owned by a nice family. Tons of 4x4 trails and 7 ponds dotted around the mnt and bath houses. Glad to hear your is still burning to get back in the woods. Enjoy this season and we'll be posting pics of our trip soon.