Battery 1 Big one or 2 Smaller

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by osmossis, Mar 20, 2017 at 2:51 PM.

1. osmossis

osmossis Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Battery 1 Big one or 2 Smaller, as the title states, i have access to a box i want to use for batteries and fits the trailer perfectly now do i run one large 1000CA battery or 2 600CA batteries Which would be the better option 1 big or 2 Smaller or it makes no difference

2. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Active Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Here's a good site with info on 12v battery use: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

What type of camping are you going to do? Mostly with power, mostly without, have a way to recharge in camp by solar or generator, what will you be powering?
    The amp hours in a battery are one of the things you're looking for. With most of the batteries used in pups, you do not want to take them below 50% state of Charge (SOC) very often, that shortens the life. That means you need a way to monitor that; on the page I referenced there is a chart of SOC.
    You also need to maintain any battery or batteries between trips and in the off season. Parasitic loads, such as a hard-wired LP or CO detector can drain a battery if there isn't a cut-off switch.

For instance, our first pup had no battery and nothing to use one to run. Second one we had a couple of LED ceiling lights (they use much less power) and a furnace plus the emergency breakaway brake is powered by the battery. We have opted to use solar to recharge batteries. When we moved to the TT, we changed to two 6v deep cycle batteries after a few months.They have more amp hours and can be discharged more % than the usual camper batteries. [We had an time with trying to figure out how we wanted to set up the power for the TT. That included having a defective battery for the first one, an electrical gremlin caused by a dropped wrench in the battery compartment which also partially zapped the CO/LP detector. Fun.]

Dudman5703 likes this.
  4. osmossis

osmossis Member

Sep 15, 2016
    We have some LEDs some lights I'm looking at solar actually wanted to make a wind generator would be cool project. As for the battery 630cca 85RC 62AH, I would install 2 of them. No heater usually will be in shore power however want to be able to use my 12v cooler and lights on the batteries can charge off car during day if needed however looking at solar/ wind in the future

5. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Going off of what kitphantom said, if you ran 2 6v batteries in a series that can be like 200+ ah. Plus they last much longer (life time wise).

Where as if you ran 2 62AH batteries in parallel you would still only have 124 ah. For a cooler you're going to want power, if you check the amp draw of the unit you can punch it into an "amp hour calculator" and figure out how long it will last. If you have a propane fridge I'd rely on that.

If you need help with solar that can be a separate thing.

6. crackerJack

crackerJack Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    6v gc batteries are built for deep cycling up and down. Every 12v, even so called deep cycle marine batteries, are actually multi purpose. Like others have said, no need for any cold cranking amps.

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Compare your marine batteries with the RC (reserve capacity) numbers. If you want to compare a marine battery to a 12v deep cycle battery, the RC number should be multiplied by about 45% to come up with the AH's Compare to 6V deep cycle batteries only use 1/2 the AH rating of the 6V battery.

8. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    He posted the Ah numbers... Please read completely

9. osmossis

osmossis Member

Sep 15, 2016
    I understand the 6v batteries get better AH I'm just trying to get this done cheaper for first season I can get those 2 batteries for free hence my motivation to use them

10. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Gotcha. Well if you post up the specs of the one single battery (or just compare Ah/RC of the single compared to the two) you'll have your answer to which will last longer. If one is deep cycle you can run that one down a lower percentage without harming the battery.

11. osmossis

osmossis Member

Sep 15, 2016
    so with the 2 batteries it will be 170 RC and 124AH, i have a 12v cooler now but older unit cant find any specs on the cooler

12. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    . . .free is good if they are new. Great way to save a few bucks. Like everyone before me commented, everything depends upon how you expect your electrical system to perform.
    If the batteries are hand-me-downs make sure they get load tested before configuring your battery compartment. Two 6-VDC batteries in series equals 12-VDC output. But if one is defective, then the pair are essentially dysfunctional.

13. osmossis

osmossis Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Yeah both brand-new also looking at. A deal for 2 40w solar panels and controller for only 179 Canadian. :D

14. bearman512

bearman512 Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Believe it or not a 12v cooler regardless of make or model will drain the batteries rapidly. Almost all "12v COOLERS" are thermoelectric and will only cool 20-25 degrees below ambient temperature. They run constantly and you would need to be on shore power. Boondocking is not going to work unless you have at least 2 6v golf cart batteries.
    IMHO keep the 2 small batteries and the solar panel system, dump the 12v cooler and invest in a cheap 12v compressor fridge/freezer which draws 1/4 of the amps of the cooler or get used to packing ice in a regular cooler.

kitphantom likes this.
  15. osmossis

osmossis Member

Sep 15, 2016
    This is the details on the fridge solar panels are 40w @ 2.3 A there will be 2 panels I can put together

Attached Files:

16. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    48 watt/12v = 4A, are there 24 hrs in a day? 4A x 24hrs = 100ah/day
    2 days = 200 ah. Batt for 2 days ~ 400 ah. $$$$
    Frozen water made at home damn near free.

80 watts solar or ~4A x 4 kw/m^2/day ave sun irradiation = 16 ah/day
    http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html - use to find how much sun where ya at!

Dudman5703 likes this.