Battery Charge Question

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Mattda, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Mattda

Mattda New Member

I have a 2010 Flagstaff 246D. I plan on going camping next week and the place we are going is 2hrs away. So from what I understand if I put the refrigerator in 12v mode before we leave, my SUV will charge the camper battery while driving correct? It would be nice to have the fridge at least starting to get cold before we get there. I don't wanna drain the battery because I have a power top. Thanks

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

You are correct, provided your TV is wired correctly and you have 12v at the aux. pin.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

What neighbormike said. I always run my refrigerator on 120 volts for several days before leaving. It's my understanding that there is a considerable draw on 12 volt operation and you may run your tow battery down if you stop for several hours. I also try and pre-cool the refrigerator using icepacks before going. That really helps keep things cool.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Mattda

Mattda New Member

I have 2017 Honda Pilot with 7 pin factory wire harness. I don't plan on stopping or shutting vehicle off while in 12v mode.

5. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

6. bheff

bheff Active Member

It's a toss up whether I'll use 12v or propane while traveling but I always try to park it level when I stop and unplug the tow vehicle just in case. Otherwise it has never been a problem. Double check the plug though and make sure it is connected to power. My GMC and Ram pickups had the wire but I had to connect them to the batter for them to me hot.