Battery Help

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Raven27, May 20, 2019.

1. Raven27

Raven27 Member

I know there's a bit of a thread on this. But it's not helping as much as I'd like. Lol

We are new to the pop up scene The battery that came with our new tonus camper is no good, it wasnt even a good one to begin with from what I've read. We will be doing a mix of hooked up camping and boondocking but when we boondock, it will likely be 2-3 days. POSSIBLY A once in a whole week event. Can so.eone just flat out give me a few batteries to pick out I've looked at so many online from solar array ones to wind turbine ones to gel to SLA. My current battery and box are I'm guessing a standard size, about 8" tall about 10" long Didn't measure width. I'm hoping something in that size with a nice, higher amp hours, I don't mind spending a couple hundred, but I don't want to spend $500 We won't camp a ton this year. One big, 2 1/2 week trip and a few smaller ones We work too much. Lol I guess I just dont know what brands or what I can just get locally We have a BJ's but dont knowing I've ever seen any deep cycle ones in there. The local auto parts stores. Seem to pretty much carry starting batteries. Any more direct,specific help would be much appreciated.

2. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

What is you camper Brand and Model as we can't help unless we know what it is!
    Get a Lead Acid group 27 or 31 and a 100w portable solar panel. This will be under $300 and you will not need anything else unless you don't have sun. Then you will need a small genset still around $300.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

There is much we don't know to give you good advice. How much electricity discipline do you practice? LED or incandescent lights? What all are you going to run on electric? How many campers do you have to worry about? That all being said, I favor Interstate Deep Cycle Batteries. I have them on all of my campers & boats.

bearman512 likes this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Just about all auto parts stores are carrying deep cycle marine batteries, along with the GC2's.
    I am using a 12CG with a 210 AH capacity and 200 watts of solar. I have never ran out of power

5. Raven27

Raven27 Member

It's a Jayco sport 12sc, 5 of us. Led lights. No idea what a GC2 is. No room to bring a portable solar panlely, unless there a lot smaller than I think, or fold up? Towing it with an SUV so room is at a premium.

6. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

GC2 is the designation for a 6 volt golf cart battery. 2 of them in series produces 12 volts. But they are big and heavy.
    Portable solar panel is roughly 20"x27" folded, and about 27 lbs.
    I have a Trojan T-1275 which is a 12 volt golf cart battery, It is slightly taller than a Group 27 battery, about the same width and length, but is rated at 150ah. It's heavy (83lbs), hard to find, and relatively expensive, I think I paid about $225 for mine 2 years ago. But it's nearly double the capacity of a G27 battery.

7. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

There is much you can do to make your battery last. In my hybrid, I have a group 27 battery. I put a switch on my LP/CO detector so it only gets used at night when we sleep, really cuts down the parasitic draw. In the bathroom, I have a cheap Ozark Trail battery lantern for night trips. Everyone gets a cheap battery head light (.99 at wally world). The overhead light only gets turned on for about 5 minutes at bed time and first thing in the morning. I've boondocked 4 days without problems. I do have to plug into my truck before the electric tongue jack will work. Longer than 4 days is usually in the summer and I run the genny for a couple of hours in the afternoon to use the AC.

8. Raven27

Raven27 Member

Found plenty of the batteries you mentioned online, they're flooded acid batteries, what is there longevity on them? The portable solar panel is more of a concern down the road ad our longer trips this year we'll be hooked up to the grid. When not hooked up, I mostly want the power for light at night I did briefly And to keep/charge phones

9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

LED room lights do not need to be used so sparingly.

10. erich82

erich82 Active Member

If you're only concerned about a few lights and charging phones, you'd probably be fine on a standard group24 battery deep cycle, provided your lights are LED, and you're not charging your phones 24/7 with the lights on all night. The big battery killers are furnaces, fridges and incandescent lights, and to some extent the water pump if used often.

Batteries take some maintenance, such as checking water levels, making sure they don't run down to over 50% charge, and keeping them topped up when in storage. If you're not 100% comfortable maintaining them to an optimal level yet, I'd suggest not heavily investing into a good battery, as you might kill it within a year. You might also want a battery meter or voltmeter to monitor your battery charge.

Keep in kind that your 120VAC outlets will only run while plugged in. You'd need an inverter plugged to the battery if you want to charge your phones without hookups.

11. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I have all led lights, single group 29 with 200 amp hour rating. Cooling with super high wind gizmos. My biggest draws are the fantastic fans and bunk fans. Entertainment comes from 18 ah portable jump box. Fridge on propane. I can go 3 days easily. Day 4 generator.

12. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Lights at night and charging phones? Buy a Jump-N-Carry and use that. And it can jump start your Tow Vehicle (if its not depleted). I used my Jump-N-Carry to run an electric trolling motor for one hour to propel a heavily loaded canoe to an island campsite. My point is - consider being flexible if your needs are modest. (in my example, a 2nd small battery propellled the canoe on the homeward trip - smaller batteries are so much easier to lift in and out of a canoe)

13. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

They're ancient, proven technology, and probably the cheapest per amp hour of any battery. As mentioned, you do have to take care of them - don't run it to zero, keep it charged, keep it watered. You'll need a 3 stage charger that can charge to modern standards - 14.4 volts on bulk, and preferably one that can do an equalization charge occasionally (this is where solar shines)
    Done right, you can easily get 5-7 years out of them, even more.

14. erich82

erich82 Active Member

OP has a newer model camper I believe (Jayco 12SC) with a bad battery. A new battery would likely give more convenience, and much more AH than a booster pack to carry around. OP already stated space was at a premium, so may as well just buy a group24 and put it where it already fits.

15. joet

joet Well-Known Member

If I had to buy a battery to replace one, I would spend a few extra dollars and get a larger size...group 27 or larger

16. erich82

erich82 Active Member

As would I, but OP likely has a 24 box, and doesn't seem very interested in modifying anything. I was offering the simplest solution that works.

17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Or 12 volt power ports with car chargers. We have two 12 volt power ports and four USB ports in the PUP and have them on a switch with the CO2 detector so we can turn off the draw when not needed.