Battery to converter

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by New2it, Jun 12, 2019.

1. New2it

New2it New Member

I'm adding solar charging to my flagstaff 206ltd its a 100w panel my question is can I wire my battery directly to the 12v side of the converter?
    The converter is an auto charge type wfco.

2. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I didn't make this, but it explains the points very well, although it does not picture the Converter here. When I say Converter, I mean the 110v-12v that provides DC to the camper when on shorepower, as well as charging the battery. Assume the converter is connected to the battery, just not pictured.

I've never seen the Solar Panel Directly to the converter without a battery involved.

[​IMG]

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I do not understand your question as typically the battery is directly connected to the 'converter'.

If you add solar to a existing PU with battery just connect the charge controller directly to the battery using the battery terminals on the controller, the panel connects to the controller's solar/panel terminals.

Having multiple charging sources at one time is a none issue, ie you CAN do it.

Adding a disconnect switch that disconnects the PU from the battery (leaving solar always connected) is a good idea. If you have e-brakes, those also stay connected and are not switched.

4. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

I have the same converter. The instructions are specific that the battery is connected to the center terminals. the load is connected to the terminals on the right. The instructions seem to be in every language but English, took me awhile to find the English version.

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

No need to hook up the load terminals for a PU install. They are designed to time events and dusk/dawn operations with limited amp rating. just ignore the load terminals.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  6. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

@rabird Interesting you should say that....I don't have that exact solar controller, but very similar. I have the main power leads to the camper connected to the load connectors, with a disconnect, so I can kill camper power, still leaving the solar charging the batteries....been working fine for over a year now. I guess it's like the old saying goes, 'There's more than one way to skin a cat"......LOL[:)C]

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

x, that works and the controller load features can provide useful usage info, but there is no need to change any existing wiring - inverter usage will exceed the load's rating.

Wire like a portable suit case version that simply clamps to the battery is easy.

8. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

That makes sense....my inverter is wired directly to the battery bank, bypassing everything but the voltmeter. If I were to try running it off the 'load', it would indeed exceed my controllers rating.