Be nice to Camp Hosts...

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by cztardust, Feb 17, 2015.

1. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

We usually don't go seeking camp hosts unless there is a problem. When we do, we're polite and respectful, but direct.
    At times I have seen people loose it with a camp host and wondered what the camp hosts duties are for what they get paid.
    I researched a little and found, that most part... they're volunteers.
    The camp hosts in the Indiana state parks are hired as couples so the park can avoid a full time position by splitting a 40 hour work week. Then paid nothing for their services but for a free camp site and I think that needs to be taken into account when consulting them that they are just basically a free avenue of communication for the park.
    Kudos to these people for doing what they do without a wage!

2. CalKat

CalKat Member

I couldn't agree more! The camp hosts I've met in our state parks are a great resource, and very nice folks. Whether you need firewood, quarters for the showers or help with unruly campers they're there for you. I am thankful that they are there. And they are full of great information, if you ask kindly.

Orchid, jmkay1 and retiredmikey like this.
  3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

I agree too. We had so much food at the low country boil last year at Kings Mountain State Park,we invited the Camp Hosts to join us. We're going do it again this May.

4. davido

davido Active Member

Camp hosts run the full range of human personalities.

I've seen some who are extremely helpful and accommodating. Others who run a tight ship, and do it with efficiency and class.

But there was one CG where it seemed like the hosts were running their own private club, and that the CG visitors were a necessary evil, distracting the hosts from their own free time. After a couple of days at the CG we managed to get this host to warm up to us, but at first we very much felt like we were skating on thin ice without ever knowing why. ...and it wasn't just us. I heard her exclaim on several occasions as newcomers pulled into the CG, "Oh, you've got to be kidding!", or "What do they think they're doing?!", for offenses such as pulling into a large (and empty) group parking area to turn around or to fill tanks. (We were camped at the site nearest to the host couple, so we heard a lot of what was going on).

It made us want to not go back to that CG. We *did* go back later in the season, selected a site much farther from the host, and had a more enjoyable experience. It happens this CG is the closest campground to our home; about 12 minutes away; one right turn, one stop light, and 2500 feet elevation between us. :) It's the best "shakedown" campground available to us; we tend to go early season to make sure everything is working well. It's like having camp driveway actually be in the mountains, about five miles away.

5. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

I believe our default mode should always be to start out being nice, until we're given pretty much no other choice but to be otherwise. Just because a camp host may seem curt with us at first may not be an accurate indication of who they are, as we may have just caught them on the tail end of a rough day, or having already dealt with someone who was being a jerk to them.

The camp hosts we've encountered have been mostly retired couples, living full time in their RV's and stretching their retirement budget by trading their services for a good place to park the rig. The couple that hosted Jacob Lake Campground when we went there for the rally last year were outstanding. The vault toilets were cleaner than many modern facilities we've been to, the grounds well kept, and both were among the friendliest people we've met.

6. hrhchuck235

hrhchuck235 Member

It's our observation that the camp hosts tend to set the "tone" for the campgrounds where there is no ranger presence. In ranger-led CG's - the rangers set the tone - and we've never yet been to one that wasn't wonderful in every way.

In all the CG's we've visited we've only had one grumpy camp host. All the rest were helpful, hard working, pleasant to deal with and welcoming.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Campground hosts have offered coffee to me, free maps, given me directions to the nearest store, one even gave me another ground stake when I needed one. All the campground hosts I know have been great and helpful. Some hosts you don't see their face much, some others make you feel welcome and willing to help you out. To the host who gave me coffee he saved my sanity.☺. Hands down I'm thankful they are around.

8. budlight

budlight Member

We needed a jump start for a dead TV batt. yesterday (I let the kids play in the car while loading up - oops!) I asked our camp host for a jump and he was so happy to do it he was singing at times! This man was the best I have seen, not sounding but he didn't care [LOL] [LOL]

9. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

almost all of the hosts we have had at campgrounds have been wonderful and very friendly, the only problem we ever had
    was at Ponderosa in Payson one year long ago, we had our 2 shelties with us and drove into the campground, which
    does take dogs, and were told by the host, if you plan on keeping those dogs with you, you need to go to the next camp
    ground, otherwise, you can camp here without the dogs.
    We were so suprised by this that we went to another campground, we figured if they were that way when the
    campground did allow dogs that we didn't want to camp with a host that acted like they hated dogs

10. ute_fan

ute_fan New Member

Who wouldn't love to have Shelties in their campground? I only have one -- not two -- but I'd be very upset if a campground that allowed dogs had hosts that acted that way!

On the original subject though, we have been lucky and had great campground hosts almost every time we needed them for something. A long, long time ago -- when my 29 year-old daughter was still a toddler -- we took our first pop-up to Payson Lakes National Forest campground here in Utah. We got there, went to roll the top up on the trailer, and one of the cables broke. The campground host was driving by, noticed our problem, got out of his golf cart and measured the distance between the box and where the top should be, and promptly cut us a piece of an aspen to support that corner of the trailer. I've never forgotten that! He saved us from having to turn around and go back home when we were looking forward to our camping trip.

11. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

They were a great crew, met them at the DOG in April when we were camped right across from them......Gave them several arm loads of wood when we left, and he brought us so back when we showed up in May...
    They were local so I hope there back again this year.

12. PhillyTitan

PhillyTitan New Member

Most camp hosts are great! But there are some who are wealthy, retired, and entitled jerks. Who just out to get a free place to park their mansion on wheels. They could give two shites about the job or your well being.

When I discover one of those hosts, I avoid that campground in the future.

13. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

when I host my pop-up rally I always invite the Camp Host. Some show up some don't. Best way to stay out of trouble offer them lots of free food!!!!! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

jmkay1 likes this.
  14. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

We ran in to an entire state park last year that must have had a professional detachment class run amok. It was my brother, mother and myself that went that time around and it was so odd. We would talk with them, ask a question and thank them...
    and everyone was so stoned faced it was just bizarre. The only one that seemed to have a personality was the gal at the front gate... Unfortunately it was that of Stella Mudd.
    [​IMG]
    I guess it happens once in awhile. you have that "special mix of people" where the chemistry doesn't work.

15. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that camp hosts are not there at your convenience. They typically are expected to put in 20 hours or so for the site. Those duties vary but often include things like checking the bathrooms several times a day, maybe selling firewood, and maybe spending a little time in the office. They usually are willing to answer your questions but they often put in far more hours than required.

They get tired and want time off but because they are on site many people consider them a concierge there to serve them.

I have very seldom had reason to contact the host. Please don't bother them for nonsense things. Feel free to contact them if something needs addressed in the campground.

16. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

I know I have only been camping in a camper for a little under a year now - but I have never even spoken to a camp host yet. Everywhere we have been they pretty much keep to themselves and do their own thing, as do DH and I. I am pretty sure I've smiled and said "mornin/afternoon" to one or two while I was on walks with the dogs....but other than that I haven't had a need to have any interaction with them. It is good to know they are there just in case, but honestly it would be rare that I was in a situation where I would feel the need to go see a host for something.

17. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

Most good camp hosts will great you as your pulling in and direct you to your site, some will even offer assistance if you think you might need some help in parking or leveling. I've always found the camp host sets the mood for the entire campground. They are also the first ones to go to when you have that unruly neighbor who wants to stay up playing the loud music after 10, or has 5 people getting drunk and making a bunch of noise real late.

One time, a group of us..... had the park ranger talk [{:)] to a very unpleasent neighbor who kept walking through our sites.... (Shawano County Park, Wisconsin fall rally) [:)C]

18. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

We've had good experiences with camp hosts, but one in particular is our hero. The host had already had problems with a camper who didn't pay for the double site that he occupied. While the host was cleaning restrooms, that camper then moved into our reserved site (prime lake front, that I had reserved on as soon as reservations opened). The host had him moved out before we arrived, so we would have never known if the neighbors hadn't filled us in that night....evidently it was a loud event. We had wondered why the guy was glaring at us whenever he walked by.

I have great appreciation for hosts that deal with such situations when they know their ranger/police backup will take a long time to arrive.

PointyCamper likes this.
  19. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Good camp host you never see or here from, but you know where to find them.

A great camp host comes by and introduces themselves.

Crappy camp hosts suck though. At East Fork state park, in Ohio, the camp host they had last year in Loop G was not great. I guess they just never used the bathroom outside of their camper? Because the bathroom in that loop had poop smeared all over the wall of the toilet stall. We went back 2 weeks later AND IT WAS STILL THERE. How, in that time, did the camp host not walk the 100 feet to the crapper house and take a look at things?

Same camp host, and I don't remember which trip this was, but it was last year too and I know it was the same guy hosting...right after dark, a bunch of loud college kids fire up a chainsaw and cut a tree down for firewood. Camp host didn't do or say a thing, and his site was closer to them than mine, so I KNOW he had to hear it.

20. dwwscran

dwwscran Member

We had a great host couple at our local county CG. they treated the place like they owned it. if you went there to party, you were gone. great place to take kids. He was one of those that when you first meet him you didn't necessarily like him. (the feeling might have been mutual). but after a few weekends once he got to know you he was a gem. Sadly he passed away this year in Texas. his health prevented him from coming home to Minnesota and the campground he loved. the new Hostess is a nice women, but she doesn't care for the place quite like they did. (I do get that she is not them.) And while i agree Hosts need their private time i would think friday and Saturday are not the best days to take off as these are the busiest days for arrivals. (hosts are responsible for registering campers and selling firewood at this cg.)