Bear country & leaving the campsite

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by jamielynn, Jun 18, 2017.

1. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    The grizzlies still wonder through the campgrounds in WY and MT looking for food. They appear not to be afraid of humans; and if surprised they probably will attack. I know when I was walking the dogs in and around, I carried the bear spray and a .44 or a 12-gauge slung over the shoulder. Last couple of years, they were all over the campgrounds I was camping in; once in a while they were seen, most of the time you just had to be careful where to step. They left some big ones lying around.

Since all were putting food in the bear containers and most had large dogs, they did not tend to hang around, but looks like they continued to return to have a look.

But the only time I have run into grizzlies directly was hiking and then bear spray did the job.
    Did have a black in MT one year scare the you know what out of a guy, but he was actually cooking bacon on the outside grill at about 5:30-6 AM. He jumped into his hard sided trailer, and bear had a great breakfast. An hour later he left (the guy, the bear I hear left after eating).

XKPin likes this.
  2. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I honestly can say, I hope I never run into a grizzly or even a good sized bear.
    Thank you!! your post made me imagine. Really, no precautions would be too much trouble to avoid a bear raiding our camp, much less trying to find something it smelled in our camper. boy, talk about perspective!
    I only take a 22 pistol, and doubt I could get a shot off in any manner at all.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Don't even use a .22 to shoot a bear!

BelchFire, Bowman3d and Byrd_Huntr like this.
  4. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I wouldn't. I'm a pretty good shot if I take my time and the can holds still.

NMroamer likes this.
  5. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    I've only had one visit from a bear. It knocked over my solar panel and stepped on it. They may withstand hail but not bears. it broke the solar panel and left a calling card on it. luckily in most of the areas I camp there may be bears but they stay away from people for the most part.

6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Active Member

Sep 25, 2016
    We camp where there are a lot of bears. Food and trash goes in the TV at night. If you allow a bear to get into your food and it's as good as dead.

7. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    IMG_2530.JPG I'm in black bear terrain in northeastern Pennsylvania. 800 pound bears don't get that big eating grubs and berries. I keep all cooking and cleaning gear in chuckbox. Food in fridge of pup or hung in trees when backpacking. Closest encounter at Campground was a bear coming directly to fire pit grill. Took a medium rare sirloin cheese burger. He dined and dashed. My dog was amazed of his fireproof jaws.

Dani likes this.
  8. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
  9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Totally agree with this!!!

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Yeah, you'll only piss the bear off with a .22!!!!!

11. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Active Member

Sep 25, 2016
    image.jpeg
    Here's one from this past summer

12. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    In all my years of camping, never had an issues with bears, even though they are around. However, on a week-long Scout camp in the Seven Devils, every morning we would wake up to fresh mountain lion tracks in our camp...never saw it, but fresh tracks every morning.

13. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    What did you end up packing? I'm looking for vegetarian camping food ideas that are easy...and dairy free.

14. myride

myride Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB

Now...THAT would worry me as much...lol

15. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    I always hike with a pocket knife now thanks to seeing a news article years ago about how a starving juvenile jumped out of a tree onto a man and as the cat chewed on the mans head, he pulled out his 1.5” pen knife and slowly slit the cats throat. Yikes!

16. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Bears are the one thing that makes me leary of a popup. Several have mentioned bear spray, but how close do you have to be to use it?

Do campgrounds and state parks allow fire arms? Should I pack a 12 gauge along with the towels? And, how safe will be cat and dog be?

I have been trying to decide about an outdoor kitchen setup attached to the camper, but now, I'm thinking keeping it at a distance would be best.

17. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    If you obey the campground protocols regarding bears you have little to worry about. Do not leave food out.

18. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I guess I'll need to check with the campground about bears. I'm sure there are other wild animals, but they don't pose the threat that bears do.

19. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    We have camped almost exclusively in bear country for 50 years. The people who throw bacon grease in the bushes, leave coolers, bowls of dogfood, or garbage cans out, or toss food scraps in the fire ring are the ones who can expect visits from bears, coons, skunks etc. You don't need to be afraid, you just need to keep your campsite and camper clean and your food in your TV at night.

BelchFire likes this.
  20. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I never even thought about the disposal of bacon grease. My mama always said frying bacon in the morning was one of her favorite things about camping.

When you talk about food, you're including anything in the camper as well? If it's best to store coolers in the truck at night, it'd be easier for me to leave them there to start with. I thought about setting all that stuff up under the awning if I can get it to work.