BEAR likes SUVs don't leave yours unlocked!

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by JunieB, May 13, 2018.

1. JunieB

JunieB Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Now I've seen everything. A bear let itself into an SUV, locked itself inside, and trashed it. this happened near me though the report is from a MN newspaper: https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/30/bear-opens-door-gets-trapped-inside-suv/

Fortunately the bear didn't drive anywhere. If so it might have gotten a DWBF: Driving while being a furry animal. Stay safe!

SongCamper likes this.
  2. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

Mar 15, 2013
    It doesn't really matter if it is locked. A bear can break a window and rip a door right off an SUV.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

The black bear are out in force here in Florida this year. Not sure if they are hibernate here or not, but we actually had a very cold winter and it's just now getting warm the past couple of weeks. We have several currently running around the downtown area, and at least one out here where we live. Usually, we only see one every few years here.

4. Orchid

Not if it's a polite bear. [LOL]

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    FB_IMG_1526234197969.jpg

MaeKay, Bowman3d, jnc and 2 others like this.
  6. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I had a friend who had that happen. The bear opened the car door and climbed inside. While moving around, the door closed and he was trapped. She called the rangers and they stood watching the bear in the car saying "I'm not going to go open the door". Fortunately, the bear managed to hit the door and opened it. He took off. Insurance totaled the vehicle.

good reason to have a remote door opener (not just unlock).

8. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Glad we don't worry about bears in Nebraska ;)

9. Orchid

On an episode of North Woods Law, some rangers and volunteers were rescuing an injured member of a boy scout troop. The members had little bells and one ranger asked what they were for. I was kind of shocked because I thought everyone had heard of this method of "making noise" to alert bear to your presence. I've never personally used it, but was still surprised the ranger hadn't.

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    The bear will smell you way before he hears the bells.

kcsa75, Fbird and jnc like this.
  11. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I love this video even tho I don't believe it.

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    What's not to believe?

13. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    A distant cousin posted this on facebook this morning. I have no idea if there is any truth to it.

These pictures are of a man who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska, and his trophy bear.
    He was deer hunting last week when the large grizzly charged him from
    about 50 yards away. The guy emptied his 7mm Magnum semi-automatic
    rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was
    still alive so the hunter reloaded and shot it several times in the head.
    The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood
    12' 6' high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It is the
    largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world.
    The Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, of course; but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport to remind tourists of the risks involved in the wild.
    Analyzing contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours, including a hiker missing two days prior to the bear's own death.

Backtracking from where the bear had originated, the US Forest Service
    found the hiker's emptied 38-caliber pistol. Not far from the pistol was
    the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found.

Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four
    (that the Service ultimately retrieved, along with twelve 7mm slugs,
    inside the bear's body), it only wounded the bear and probably angered
    it immensely.

Think about this :

If you are an average size man, you would be level with the bear's navel
    when he stood upright. The bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours! To give additional perspective, this bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof; or stand beside a two story house and look in the upper bedroom windows.

14. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    jnc likes this.
  15. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    Oh and the part about having eaten people is completely untrue and was added years after the actual events took place.

Bears can be dangerous but please don't misidentify them as maneaters. Use appropriate camping techniques, follow the rules, and give them space. If you're not sure about any of those, check with the local rangers for the area you'll be in as bears in different areas learn different habits.

16. JunieB

JunieB Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    I would not suggest a remote door "opener" unless you have a certain disability/handicap. Too easy to hit a door "opener" by accident and have a disaster ensue. I'll take the totaled car in this case.
    Also recently I was reading about how many people are being killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, in their home, as they forget to "turn off" their remote-start, remote-stop vehicles after arriving home. Quite the tragedy. I guess some people's hearing fades as they age, or have other distractions (cellphone anyone?) thus don't notice the engine sound, go to bed after putting the car in garage, and never wake up. This IS true. You can google it.

17. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    Folks have been doing that long before keyless ignitions.

Many minivans have the remote back opener and haven't seemed to have any significant issues with accidental openings. Maybe they hit it by mistake when it's parked but not while driving. I 'm not too concerned about these fears anymore than I am about being eaten by a bear.

18. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Happened back behind my house, hunt the mountain their house is on, they now lock up...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  19. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    OMG. I have NIGHTMARES about BEARS...

Yep yep.. got to get that "bear spray" before i'll feel comfortable GOING ANYWHERE in the woods....