Bed belly drags during setup/takedown

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Tasmin, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Tasmin

Tasmin New Member

Does anyone have a photo of what an "easy to roll out" bed slide looks like from underneath (both outside and inside) on a Rockwood? I've seen other brands have a gap underneath that is so big they can clip on their towel rack mods - but that is not my style.

Mine barely clears the metal box when dragging out and it is hard to do even after lubing the rails. There is a wheel mounted inside the box underneath the bed that when tightened helps slightly, but I feel like something else must be wrong. It takes 2 adults yanking at the same time to pull out the beds fully.

When sliding it, the wood catches and creates a sawdust sprinkle on the floor inside. Just not sure where the issue is

2. p

p Active Member

I got the same issue. Curious as to the solution.

3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

My front bed assembly is hard to pull and push in, but nothing one person (or at least myself) cannot handle. I have no sawdust on the inside or outside that I have ever noticed. But it is hard, and it does makes a scraping sound; especially when pushed in. I believe it is the nature of the style of bed pullouts.

4. budlight

budlight Member

We have the same issue, I have read that the plywood can be flipped as it has sagged over time. One of these days I will try it.

5. p

p Active Member

Is it a sag or something broken..that can be fixed?

6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I know with mine you have to be careful to pull it out straight. If not it tends to bind. Lifting slightly helps. Never force it.

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

If it is bowed down I wonder if you could screw in some square metal strip on top of the plyboard on both side edges so it would not be felt when sleeping on top of it. This might help making the bowed plyboard straight again... A 1/2-inch metal support metal or maybe even a 1 inch wood support piece would not bother being on top of the tent bed plyboard under the tent bed end mattress... I also have 3-inch foam topper on the top of tent bed mattress... It might end up that the mattress would end between the two side support boards.

Mine works works good but I did notice the flimsy weather strap that OEM installed do much for me so I removed that and install one of these weather seals in its place. I had to cut out a couple of places to clear for a an angle pice installed on the bottom of my tent bed...

I glued the bottom of this weather seal on the top of the trailer wall all the way across under both the tent bed ends. Using what was oem installed when I had the tent beds pulled out all the way out I could bend over from inside the trailer and see daylight under both tent beds... All nice and tight now. No more mosquitoes and other night bugs getting in now... The OEM weather seal was installed to the bottom of the tent bed floor.

[​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  8. p

p Active Member

Pool noodles work well as well. Especially for the door gap when closed.

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Pushing and pulling would be easier if you push/pull exactly middle of the end of bunkend.

As for the sag as some suggested from their experience, why did it happen? lack of middle brace or the wood got wet from condensation?

10. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

My strap is dead center and that is what I use; however, to pull and push without a little of an angle is next to impossible. Can't seem to straddle the two propane tanks for a dead on pull.:D
    [​IMG]

However, as someone else noted, I believe the plywood base is warped a bit. Most likely due to five years of camping with sometimes upward of 460 lbs on that bed (me and two large dogs (120/130). Eventually, it will start to sag even with the braces. I might look at flipping or possibly even replacing, but I'll live with it for a while longer.

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

flipping the plywood is perfect and adding a brace under it, would be a good idea.

12. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

on my popup, the previous owners did not use the additional bunk end supports and the front king bed sagged pretty bad. to help, on the inside wall, I put 3 large (100 lb each) fixed caster wheels to help support the bed as it rolls in. I also added 2 strap loops (from a broken racheting strap) to the underside of the bunk that a large wood pole will fit thru and I use the wood pole to pull the bed out. im setting up alone, and this helped me. since I added headliner to the bed decks, I wont be flipping the plywood.