Bed supports

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by David hart, Aug 13, 2018.

1. David hart

David hart New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    What other support should you use

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

You will need to expand and clarify your question, if you want a correct answer.

I could speculate on what your question might mean, and try to answer that, but it might not be what you're asking.

kitphantom likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    David ....... your pull out bunks usually will have 2 rods that go from under the bunk to the bumper on tongue. Thats all that is needed.
    awelcome.jpg Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline and Quincy the beagle says hi also.

4. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    If by chance they aren’t, then check your bed slides and bed rails to make sure they’re not bent.

5. David hart

David hart New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    What extra supports do you need

6. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Which make/model camper do you have?
    Coleman Fleetwood campers have poles attached to the (underside of the) bunk ends that fit on to posts on the bumper or tongue.
    Other makes have removable poles that fit in slots on the bunks and bumper and tongue. Most bunks on popups are rated for 1,000lbs with out extra support beyond what was provided by the manufacturer.
    But without know your specific unit, we are all just guessing what you want.

7. tfischer

Extra, as in beyond what comes with the camper? Or Extra, as in beyond just pulling it out?

Again, using several sentences to clarify your question will get you more accurate answers. This would include the make/model/year of your camper.

jnc likes this.
  8. David hart

David hart New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    I have a Coleman Stoney creek and I was just wondering if any one added more supports to the beds

9. tfischer

Ah, got it. If your original supports are in good condition there should be no need. Beds are rated for 1000 pounds.

friartuck and Orchid like this.
  10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have 2 Coleman's.I'm a heavy weight #300+ and the DW isn't a light weight either. WE sleep on the rear bunk with no extra support and have no issues with sagging or from the wall pulling out.

Orchid likes this.
  11. David hart

David hart New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Thanks

12. David hart

David hart New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Thanks

13. David hart

David hart New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Thanks

14. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My 2008 Starcraft 14RT tent beds use four support poles. Two out on the ends and two more about 3/4 way out. The rear tent bed end goes to the rear bumper and the front goes down through four holes in the front deck...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

[​IMG]
    Google Image

the front is super strong as the support poles are shorter.

We always sleep in the front Tent Bed setup as it has the front deck directly under it. Always like the idea of not worrying what may be wandering around under us while we sleep. It is also the bigger bed size as well...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

15. Nancy Shapiro

Nancy Shapiro New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Hi All, I'm looking for a Flagstaff Pup bunk end support solution. My '97 Jayco Jay has angled support poles that you place BEFORE sliding the King bed out. These support the bed nicely as you slide it out, and make getting the secondary support poles in easy. Our new [to us] 2011 Flagstaff also has a king bed, with 2 sets of support poles, but no support as you pull it out. So it drops about 8-10" and puts a terrible strain on the end of the glide rail, as well as my back as I try to prop it up to get the first set of poles in. Has anyone made a custom solution for this? Thx

16. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    You might want to check the bedslides to make sure they’re not bent. I had one with that issue and it made for a rather unsecure bunkend. The slides are the part attached to the bed itself on each side. If they are they can be removed and straightened often times. At least that’s how I solved mine. Make sure you bunkstops on the end of each bedside are operating correctly too.

17. Nancy Shapiro

Nancy Shapiro New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Slides are not bent yet... but they'll get bent over time with that much weight pushing upwards on the last 6". I have a welder that could make something similar to what my Jayco has, but I wanted to collect any ideas from what others may have done.

18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    [;)][​IMG]

I want this for my popup!