Before I go BOOM!!!

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by kateKamper, Jun 17, 2019.

1. kateKamper

kateKamper New Member

Hello All,
    I have a 1993 coleman Cape Cod that I have been working on I am trying to figure out if this is the correct way that the gas lines should be run. This is how it was put together when I bought the PUP. I know that I will be replacing the tank for sure. the first t off the tank goes to the curb side grill hook up which is HP. next is what I would assume is the HP regulator then the low pressure regulator that goes to the inside appliances. My question is should the HP line be hooked to the HP regulator?
    gasreg2.jpg

2. frolin

frolin Member

Should go tank into HP regulator then T to outside hook up and into LP regulator into inside lines.

3. kateKamper

kateKamper New Member

ok, but do those 2 regulators look like they will come apart?

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Looks like they come apart. They are mounted wrong. The vent must face downward

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  5. kateKamper

kateKamper New Member

thanks I will try and get them apart.

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

kateKamper, it is not normal for a dual stage RV regulator to come apart.

93 cape cod parts book see page 26
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0..._four_seasons_series.pdf?16695232820753828628

the original HP regulator was set to 16 psi for the outside stove (the stove was either a coleman stove or an unregulated stove that was regulated at the front cylinder to 16 psi). teed to outside then a single low pressure reg, These days they always use a dual stage RV regulator for low pressure.

I wouldn't have any issue with full cylinder pressure to the outside HP port for your grill or any regulated appliance. Might always keep it off during travel! You might consider 20 or 30 psi regulator at the cylinder then tee off to the outside then to a dual stage RV regulator, this would limit what pressure the hose from the tee to the outside HP port 'sees'.

All this stuff hanging off the cylinder gets heavy for the that black ACME nut @ the cylinder, these days they use a short pigtail from the cylinder to regulators that are mounted to something. You can see modern hookup via parts books like page 31 of 2010 americana series https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0273/4347/files/2010_Americana_Parts_Book.pdf?16695232820753828628

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  7. kateKamper

kateKamper New Member

I do have the original stove that goes outside and on the part that connects to the stove it says pre set non adjustable. Now my set up looks nothing at all like what is in the parts book page 26 that is why I was questioning if it was safe the way it is or should I just replace the whole dang thing.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I would not use the curb side port for an unregulated appliance! For a stove or grill that has a regulator is OK.

9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

The high pressure stove that came with the old Colemans, did require a regulated feed, so I personally wouldn't try to use it at tank pressure. But most of the camp stoves made to use the 1 lb bottles, Coleman, Camp Chef, etc. would be safe to use because they have their own regulator. I run my Camp Chef Explorer off of the camper propane tanks using a propane tee between the tank and the regulator. Yes, I have an outside low pressure port, but I choose not to use it.

10. kateKamper

kateKamper New Member

Is this a regulator on the coleman quick connect that goes to the stove? It says pre-set non adjustable on the black cap. Resizer_15609952557251.jpg Resizer_15609952557253.jpg

11. kateKamper

kateKamper New Member

This is the set up the owners manual shows which is nothing like the set up that is on the pup right now. Resizer_15609969254480.jpg

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Yes that is the regulator for a coleman stove, you can use it with your current system that has full container pressure going to the outside port or with little green bottles.

New coleman stoves come with that exact same regulator/connector.
    [​IMG]
    Either connected to a cylinder with a hose or a green 1 lb bottle.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    kateKamper likes this.
  13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Yes, that is original as shown in the parts book.
    Again, back then they used a 16 psi regulator then teed off to the outside port and then a low pressure regulator.
    Your current setup tees off before being regulated.

kateKamper likes this.
  14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Previously I stated you had an ACME connector at the cylinder, now that I looked closer at your original pics, it an ole style POL with left hand threads, turn to the right to loosen.

kateKamper likes this.
  15. kateKamper

kateKamper New Member

rabird, Thanks a lot for you help. I am thinking of replacing the whole thing.