Beginner here... Solar electric fencer hack?

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by dwcole7, Apr 4, 2015.

1. dwcole7

dwcole7 New Member

Mar 8, 2015
    So, I am a HUGE beginner here. Looking for some options. We have purchased a 1976 Starcraft Starmaster 6. We will be remodeling and updating it. We have a solar electric fencer that we are not using and is pretty much brand new. I was wondering if there is a way to use that to charge a pop up 12 volt battery? Please don't laugh if this is totally ridicuous. ;) We are pretty new to all of this and I am looking for an inexpensive way to be green when camping. (if possible) If you have other beginner help for me I appreciate any options, ideas!!!!THANK YOU for any help!! Wendy

2. zorak

zorak Member

Apr 7, 2012
    If it has a decent enough size solar panel then it would help, but i doubt it would be enough to charge a large deep cycle battery as the amp draw of all the stuff in the pup will far exceed the capacity of the solar panel to replace the capacity used. Harbor freight tools has a 45 watt solar panel setup that has some promise and goes on sale a lot. I do believe others on the portal have came up with better deals than HF.

3. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    I'm no expert, but camper batteries are 12v and most fencers are 6v. You could make it work by using two 6v batteries in your camper, but that is a lot of weight and hassle. Good thought though.

4. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    There are some 12v solar units but those aren't cheap. In addition, all that I've seen are pulse chargers, meaning the power goes through the fencing in quick zaps. So unless you hacked it enough to get around that it would still be quite inefficient. My question is, and it's asked as someone with little knowledge of these things, if you hacked it to put out a continuous charge instead would it burn out the charger? The main thing that would keep me from trying this, besides my lack of knowledge, is the price of these units. Seems you would get a much better value by just buying a more standard solar unit.

Examples:
    $263.52 Parmak Magnum 30 Mile Range Electric Fence Charger MAG12SP
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00099FAJI

$279.99 RenogyⓇ Foldable Solar Suitcase Battery Charger 100W
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HR8YNK6

Note: Parmak fence charger includes battery whereas Renogy kit does not.

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Yes you can use it. Don't think it would be good for camping, but would work great to maintain the battery when not using the camper.

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Really, all you'd be using is the solar panel and the charging unit, which may, or may not, be self regulating and 12V. In that case, you can buy a cheap 12V self regulating charge unit and hook it to the panel to run a small trickle charge.

The thing that the fence attaches to is completely useless for your needs. All you need is the panel and a way to get the voltage into your battery effectively.

7. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    I think at most you're talking about the equivalent of one of those 5 to 10 watt dashboard chargers. Sell the fence charger and get one of the 50 to 60 watt single panel charger kits on Amazon. Would do you more good and you might have money left over.