Best Instant Canopy

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by BigAdm, Sep 6, 2016.

1. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

Has anyone used the Quest canopy's from Dick's sporting goods?

2. Fleetwood05

Fleetwood05 '05 Fleetwood Niagara HW

We love our Clam 1660 six pack screen tent. We purchased the rain/wind side panels too. Easy setup and take down. Fits over a picnic table very nicely and room to walk around it.

3. cyndib

cyndib Member

We also have the 13 x 13 Pagoda from Walmart. Just purchased it this summer after we lost our other ones in a storm. We bought weights for the legs at Academy Sports and have really liked this one best. Love the opening at the top to let the hot air escape.

4. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

I was looking at that one cyndib.....but had trouble finding any walls made for it...I could always make the walls out of tarps but the pre made walls always look so much better

5. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

I've had a 10'x10' EZ Up for at least 10 years, it has held up fine to wind and rain but not to my dog. I did have to purchase legs twice from the manufacture due to our dog chasing small rodents and her line getting tangled in the leg. Last summer it did take off in a strong wind bending 2 legs but I lucked out finding a totaled EZ Up frame next to the dumpster with 2 good legs and all the other parts needed to rebuild mine. From then on I hammer 10" long stakes through the foot holes and lower the canopy when it gets too windy.

6. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Don't know, but doubt it....the legs set inside about a foot so you have an overhang. I'm sure you could rig something up.

7. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Ozark Trails 10' straight leg. Straight leg canopies add a bunch of extra room, as the slant legs are measured at the feet, so coverage area is smaller than a straight leg.

Has the roof vent to help with high winds. Also comes with 4 additional rope tie downs to help with the "instantly fly away" aspect. Have had it out in pretty serious winds with no issues.

8. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

How long have you had your ozark

9. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

I have a Quest that is a couple of years old that we bought on sale at Dick's. It is fine; gets the job done, doesn't leak and I can put it up by myself. I've never left it up in high winds, though.

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I'll put in a good word for the Coleman. I have the 10x10 (about $100 at Wally World) and it's perfect to put up over the picnic table at the campsite. I always stake the legs and use the guy lines and have had no problem with wind or rain. The first weekend we had it, we were lakeside and it was pretty breezy. I had it tied down pretty good but it worked like a champ.

I don't know where you're reading reviews, but I did a lot of reading and like you I saw a lot of negatives before I bought. But the majority of negative reviews seemed pretty lame to me. Most seemed to be from people complaining because it blew away (which I took to mean they probably didn't stake it down) or griped because Coleman wouldn't sell replacement parts. The best one was a guy in Arizona who put it up on his deck, left it all year then griped because the fabric faded. [:)C]

Attached Files:

11. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I own a version of the 12 x 12 Coleman straight leg that is about 3 years old, like this.

[​IMG]

It looks like they no longer make it in a 12 x 12 though only in a 10 x 10.

The new 12 x 12 is much different, and looks like this.

[​IMG]

I have never had a problem with wind or rain, and mine has been through some good storms. But looking at the new one, I can see how water pools, it's bowed down, just sitting there dry. The old one has a slight dome shape to it. There is no longer any roof flaps like mine had either, so wind would also be a problem. It's hard to see in the picture, but mine has flaps on all four sides that open up pretty wide when the wind blows through. You are right that the reviews are not good on the new version. Look up the reviews on the 10 x 10 like the older version, they are much better. Why they changed it, is beyond me. I love mine.

12. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

This is year 3 for the Ozark.

13. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

There new 12x12 is $186........Sam's club (Walmart) sells a 13x13 for $99 so I was considering buying that one and rigging up some walls....But can you image a 13x13 always fitting on the site along with my camper and 9 foot awning...Not to mention adding a tent to the site.....

14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a 12x12 Coleman similar to the one Shel posted. Have had it for several years, and so far it has held up well. It has flaps in the peak, and I bought side walls and screening on clearance over the years. I have two side walls plus the wrap around screen with zippers on two sides for entry. Works very well.

Our scout troop had a couple of the cheaper canopies like Ozark Trail and others. They failed miserably in heavy rains - excessive pooling on the roof, and one of them buckled completely. On that trip (non stop rain for a week at summer camp) I bought a 13x13 Coleman for the troop to supplement the ones they brought, and it held up really well. I also liked the increased coverage - it looks like a regular 12x12 footprint with a 1' overhang all around.

I also have another Coleman unit that is a super quick and light weight canopy. It has exterior support poles and just unfolds like a camp chair. I do like it but it is a fair weather canopy. It has to be staked down due to its light weight, and I have never had it in heavy rain/wind so I do not know how well it would behave in those conditions. It is 9x12 I think and I just use it for shade when needed. When I tent camped it went over the kitchen while the 12x12 covered the picnic table.

15. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

We love our Clam 1660, but I guess it is more of a screen room than a canopy. Goes up/down in less than a minute. We usually put it over the picnic table.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

16. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

I went with a 13x13 canopy from Sam's club for $99....Space between the legs is 10x10 but it over hands for 13x13.....will update and see how it holds up.. I just couldn't buy a Coleman for almost $200 that is advertised as wind resistant in 40 mph winds but the company doesn't honor wind in their warranty...just strange to me....

Thanks for all the help it was all a massive help in my choice

17. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Companies offer warranties for things within their control such as manufacturing defects. The company cannot control how you use or abuse the canopy, whether you tie it down or maybe you don't so they cannot warranty against wind damage. I wouldn't expect it from any manufacturer.

18. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

I feel the same way customer but if a huge point of their advertising is being able to withstand wind I don't see why they wouldn't....However, the reviews for Coleman were terrible 46% being 1 star. Although, I'm not sure if the people took care of their canopy ... IE staking it down/ tieing it down.....Just didn't take the risk

19. Clermont cubby

Clermont cubby New Member

+1 on the Clam shelters. We travel with a little 6'x6' Clam in our teardrop. Easy to set up by one. They began by making ice fishing tents. Very durable and offered in many sizes.