Best Mosquito/Bug deterrent

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by GatorChamp44, Mar 4, 2019.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Deet may be a risk but west nile and the myriad of other diseases that mosquitoes carry is a huge risk as well. If mosquitoes were merely a nuisance it would be one thing, but since they are actually a real danger, one needs to weigh out the perceived risks from using repellants vs not.

tzmartin likes this.
  2. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

If you don't want to apply repellent to yourself, I can recommend a permethrin / bifenthrin area spray. You can buy the concentrate quite cheaply online and a small spray bottle appropriately diluted sprayed around your campsite will last the entire weekend without a respray. It is very effective on mosquitoes and other bugs as well. I use it around my yard and house and it does a great job, actually will last for several weeks.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, i use it also . I think on the bottle it says it will kill bugs, the brids that eat the bugs, and small animals up to 60 lbs. I kid. I do use it , i have a concentrate, its some strong stuff.

neighbormike likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Don't kid yourself. If you drank it, you would need the attention of a doctor and some Atropine.

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Momabear always uses SKIN SO SOFT by AVON... Mixes with alittle water in a spray bottle...

Works pretty good for us around the camp fire...

We do a couple of other things around the camp fire that helps in this respect as well... Always have large blade electric fan set blowing around the camp site... Those 20-inch box fans are great for this... Use a couple of those O-2 COOL FANs with batteries when off grid... Also I like to use a couple of desk clamp lights off to the edge somewhere where we are sitting with one pointing up in the trees and the other one pointing down to the ground. This reflected light does great at where are sitting and keeps all the night bugs away from us pretty good too...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Roy's image's

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I use Tiki Torches with Citronella oil with the wicks pulled up farther than normal, and Citronella oil in 2 lanterns. This along with a campfire does a good job of keeping bugs away.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I'm grateful that many of the places we camp are not too bad for bugs. A couple of the places in Colorado may have flies and mosquitoes. We now have a screen house becasue of those areas, though it's only helpful if we won't be getting gusty winds.
    My skin hates most any thing - DEET, sunscreen, moisturizer - though I have a couple of natural repellents that help a bit.With asthma and allergies, plus a bit of lung damage from a bout of pleurisy, I have to be careful around scents (no Skin So Soft!), smoke, and some vapors. A friends and I ended up with head nets years ago, when we were in Utah with no-see-ums and mosquitoes. (Her then- 11 year old refused to wear a head net) We were not impressed with the citronella candles and lanterns we bought - the mosquitoes were landing and sitting on them.
    I do have one of the bug-off scarves, which have the repellent in the fabric.
    West Nile can be an issue here in NM and CO. IIRC, it was one of the things I was test for when I had pleurisy, since we had been camping in buggy Colorado the week before I got sick.

8. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

The best Mosquito repellent is deet hands down. I don't like the stuff either, but like getting bit less. I'm one of those people that doesn't get bit until everyone around me puts on bug spray. Other bugs are harder to keep away (knats) than mosquitoes.