Best place in Texas to see stars?

Discussion in 'Astronomy / Star Gazing' started by codejockey, Apr 14, 2011.

1. codejockey

codejockey Geek who likes outdoors!

Mar 22, 2011
    Hi all, I am interested in booking a camping trip boondocking so as to get a great view of the stars and perhaps the Milky Way. Can anyone tell me the best place within say a day's drive to do that? I'd like to plan a trip, but I'm not sure of where to go.

2. huizarr

huizarr Member

Nov 19, 2009
    There is that observatory in the Davis Mountains (McDonnell I believe). I would venture if it is good enough for an observatory it should be great to see stars.

3. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    " Deep in the heart of Texas!!" OK, sorry, someone had to do it...

Greg

4. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Mar 13, 2007
    Palo Duro Canyon and Cap Rock Canyon in the pan handle area!

JJ

5. pupateer

pupateer Native Texan

Jul 30, 2009
    Houston
    I'd agree with the previous poster and say that west Texas is the place to go. Unfortunately, recent wildfires have destroyed large parts of west Texas, including the area around the McDonald observatory near Ft. Davis. The hill country will work, but you'll need to stay away from the Austin/San Antonio area. You might get some good viewing at Mother Neff SP near Belton. I went camping in Huntsville SP about 15 years ago and had some amazing night skies to view there as well.

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    "Go west young man."
    Away from the lights and frills of the cities!

7. codejockey

Mar 22, 2011
    Well, I'm going to Caprock Canyons SP over Memorial Day weekend, so hopefully the skies will be clear!

8. dgeddes

dgeddes New Member

Nov 13, 2010
  9. codejockey

Mar 22, 2011
    I was actually at Lake Whitney SP about 2 months ago, but I didn't really see as many stars as I'd hoped to.

10. jakestir

jakestir New Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I know this thread is a couple months old, but I'll give some input anyways [:D]

There's a place named Fort Griffin that's only about a 2.5 to 3hrs drive west from the DFW area. They have decent campsite and host stargazing parties once a month.
    http://www.visitfortgriffin.com/index.aspx?page=7

Their facebook page as more info also.

They have some cool old buildings also.
    In this photo you can see the milky way pretty good: http://flic.kr/p/9RwgFg

11. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I was down in Texas back in 2001 visiting my brother and we went out to a cabin in Southwest Texas halfway between Langtry and Dryden off on US-90 called Myers Spring. I saw so many star, the whole Milky Way. I don't know how ancient peoples could see patterns in the star to make shapes like Orion the Hunter. There are just so dam many stars!

12. bdanntx

bdanntx New Member

Nov 26, 2010
  13. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Texas
    Agree with the others, going out to the Davis Mountains or Caprock Canyons SP is great viewing.

14. bdanntx

bdanntx New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Caprock is pretty nice during the day too...
    [​IMG]

15. Blondie2tx

Blondie2tx Coffee, bacon and the outdoors!!

Jul 25, 2010
    Brazos Bend State Park off of 1462 is a very nice park with gazing tower. Tons of wildlife, alligators, pier fishing.....no wildfires down here. Mosquitoes might be a problem, but a very nice park. No swimming though. About 30 mins from Houston, great for riding bikes.

Have fun!

16. Papa Bear

Papa Bear New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I know I'm late to this thread. A couple years ago, at our Cub Scout spring family camp, we did star gazing at Farfield Lake State Park, about 90 miles south of dallas. Had a dad that was an amatuer astronomer that pointed out stars, constellations, and even a distant galaxy. All was easy to see with just a good pair of binoculars. A lot closer than west texas. In case you want to try again this summer.

17. Pool Runner

Pool Runner We also love our GoldWing!

Aug 26, 2010
    West is best, but Lost Maples SP is well removed from major cities and has very little light pollution.